P965 Overclocking - A whole new world to me

Soldato
OP
Ended up being the RAM. As soon as I got some crucial ballistix in there it just went from strength to strength. Dont know if it was an incompatability with those GEIL sticks and the board or just my luck that I got a pair that didnt want to play ball. Had the board right up to 500mhz FSB so I am quite happy now ;)

Permabanned
eheheheh

what I have told you???

mine P5B dlx does 530fsb,and Asus Commando is even better than P5B( must be)

what you miss two weeks ago is experience ( with that chipset i mean)

I went for the same thing: one week to understand the board and it´s " tricks"
then I realised the Geil PC2 6400 is not the best ram for that chipset
then i sell my Geil and bought Ballistyx cause they have Micron D9 chip´s( could have bought Team Extreem PC2 5300 / 6400 or Cellshock -I just went for Ballistyx cause the price is a little better)

and last one ,i bought Tuniq Tower 120,and cpu temps fell down like a rock in a downhill :)

so overclocking is not guaranteed " right out of the box" like most of people think
it depends on a lot of factors and need a lot of " tweakings" ,so everyone who want it must have some patiente and time to spend on doing it.

Soldato
OP
netby: i read a lot of your posts with great interest and I have to thank you for your help. You are 100% right that I had to learn the chipset, as well as learning c2d overclocking as I came straight from a s939 rig. The reason I ruled out the RAM initially is because it worked, and it was even running under spec. Must just be something that p965 and geil dont like about each other. At least its all working now and I am not left scratching my head!

trojan698: had it up to 3.6 (450 x 8) but couldnt get it stable, but I havent finished fiddling yet. Also had it up to 500 x 7 just to test what fsb the board/ram could do. Currently running 400 x 8 1:1 4-3-3-12 timings. Want to see if i can get it stable at 3-3-3-12, just because! With the tuniq tower on there and a sharkoon silent eagle 1000 120mm fan its sitting at 30C idle and 53C load. When I finish playing and settle on final figures I may do a post with pics and final clocks if anyone is interested. Still need to compare 3dmark06 scores to my old rig and see if I can crack 10k (8800gts 620core/2000mem and was getting 9223 on my opty 165 @ 2.7)

Back
Top Bottom