P965 Overclocking - A whole new world to me

Soldato
Just built up my new rig comprising of an ASUS Commando, E4300 and 2gb of GEIL DDR2-800. The options in the bios are all new to me and I am quite lost. Does anyone know of a good guide detailing these options, what should be enabled/disabled, what the default voltages are (and safe increase of those voltages) for nb/sb/ddr2 termination etc? Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

PS. I did look for guides and through the forums but I couldnt see anything specific to these settings.

Permabanned
I mate

I have a a P5B de luxe,and at first I´m completely lost
( before i had AMD for two years)

well i read a guide how to overclock this chipset intel 965 and now i get great overcloking results - 500fsb and more( max 529fsb)

I think ASUS Commando is pretty much like Asus P5B de luxe

the Commando board must be a " beast" for overclocking
( i have some friends who are getting great clock´s with it)

here is the link for the guide
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

hope this help you

PS- and if you could update the bios for the last one you find in the ASUS site ( official bios )

Last edited:
Associate
The Commando has MUCH higher voltage ranges than the P5B-D does I think. If you leave the vmch and fsb termination voltages on auto, it'll raise them with the overclock which is a little needless even with the chipset cooling (like 1.6volts for the vmch at 3.6ghz wth asus thats gonna burn)
For mine, a safe voltage for the vmch is 1.275 which takes me up to 400fsb no trouble and FSB is at 1.250.

I've never had to touch the DDR channel stuff or the SB voltages and dont care to since the PCI/PCIe locks work like theyre supposed to and it's given me no trouble. Even putting the FSB up to ~500mhz+ I didn't have to touch those.

If you want to put the memory above 1:1 then you'll need to up the vmch and fsb term voltages, at least that's what I've found.

A little tip with the commando is to make good use of the OC profiles that you have, and to reset after changing voltages THEN change the FSB, I have to reset the CMOS much less after learning that.

Soldato
OP
This is all great advice, thank you all. That guide is super helpfull too. Now that I am home from work I can start playing with my new kit! Thanks again all.

Soldato
OP
I am sure I am doing something wrong. I have to be. I seem to hit a wall or something at 344fsb and the machine refuses to post. I have dropped the multi to 6 even (e4300) but nothing seems to help, it just wont go above 344mhz. Is there something I am missing? I cant believe everyone else in the world can attain mahoosive fsb overclocks and I cant even get over 345! System specs:

ASUS Commando
E4300
GEIL DDR800 Low Latency
Tuniq Tower 120
8800GTS

I have set all the voltages in the bios off auto and set thet manually as suggested in the guide posted above and mentioned elsewhere on the net, the ram is running 1:1 so infact underclocked at this point in time, running 2.1v through the ddr. Any other info someone needs to help me I will gladly give!

Permabanned
well

I´m not english speaking so it´s not easy for me to explain that

P5B de luxe has a "problem" in a gap of fsb betwen 330 and 400
that´s the reason i avoid to use that fsb ( normaly i use fsb 333 and if i want more i go directly to 400 or more

it´s not to easy to understand why,but you my do that after read that

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30

PS - I supose that ASUS Commando my have that problem too,cause the board is almost a PSB de luxe with more " muscles"

Soldato
OP
No such luck, tried 401, 401, 410, 450 even (with a multi of 6) and it always results in no post. I just dont know what could be wrong :(

Associate
The only thing I can think of that could be affected at those speeds is have you locked the PCI speed at 33mhz and set the PCI express frequency to 100? It should do that when set to auto anyway but it's worth a try.

Also update the bios to 0803, I think that's still the latest one

Soldato
OP
I have flashed with the 0803 BIOS (first thing I did) and have set the pcie/pci speeds locked to 100/33. Still no difference. Just so I have my thinking right, I have tested the chip at 334 x 9 and its stable, temps are 50C under load. Am I correct in thinking that lowering the multi to 6 and increasing the FSB basically takes the cpu out of the equation and boils down to the mobo being able to handle the FSB? 450 x 6 is 2.7ghz and the chip is capable of this, but as I said there is just no post at anything over 344. The LCD displays "CPUINIT", the fan on the 8800gtx spins up full tilt and thats how it stays. I have to switch off, clear the cmos and start again.

If anyone thinks it could be the board I will send it back, I dont mind having a poor clocking chip but I bought the mobo on the basis that it was a good clocker. Can always drop another chip in at a later date (which was the plan) but dont really want to have to uproot the mobo at a later date. Thanks for taking the time to help me on this one, really appreciate it.

Edit: i have downloaded bios 0601and 0702 and am going to flash to those and see if it helps any. 0803 apparently introduced the 1333 strap, no idea if this has anything to do with it but I am going to give the old ones a go. If not I will get another board and hope that one works, if not then Ill give up!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I flashed back to 0702 and it does the exact same thing. Cannot get higher than 343mhz fsb no matter what the multi/voltage etc are set to. Can someone just confirm that this is likely to be a motherboard fault? Are there any other factors it could be? I ruled out ram as its running under spec as it is at 1:1, the cpu can handle 334 x 9 so I assume it is capable of 375 x 8 or 430 x 7 or 500 x 6?

Would just like confirmation on my thinking before I send this back and get another board. Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Downgraded now to bios 0601 and it still does the same thing. Unless anyone can tell me I will be wasting my time I will get another board and cpu for this weekend and test every configuration possible, at least that way it rules out either component being the problem. I am convinced though it points to the board not being able to handle high FSB's. I must be the only person to get a Commando and not have it hit 500fsb lol. Every screenshot i have ever seen for this board shows 450+ capable when lowering the multi. *sigh*

Soldato
mine won't do 401 + either :(

won't even try to boot into windows, and sometimes even hangs on the bios screen or won't post !

360 fsb though is fine !

bizarre

Mark.

Soldato
OP
Can you give me any more details about your setup? What CPU you have etc? Thing is I cannot post past 343mhz at all which is very low from what I can see on everyone elses attempts. Ill just get another board and give it a whirl this weekend, I hope the one I got is just faulty in some way. If i get a new board and it does the same thing then I think all commando overclock screenshots are photochopped! :p

Soldato
hardc0re_tid said:
i have my p5b set up as below

FSB Termination Voltage maxed
NB VCore maxed
SB VCore one before max
ICH Chipset Voltage Auto
FSB Termination Voltage min
NB VCore min
SB VCore min
ICH Chipset Voltage Auto

Then when you hit a problem bump them up one at a time and see what changes. I've not found a lot of use from these voltage options, the only two I have needed to change are

NB vCore: Fine at min (1.25v) but needed to raise it one notch (1.45v) when running 400MHz-FSB+ 'and' 3-3-3 timings on the memory, I can run 400MHz-FSB+ and 4-4-4 timings with the min settings.

SB vCore: Again fine at min with moderate FSB settings, but once I get above 450MHz-FSB a little boost in SB vCore helps. To get the PC to even boot at 500MHz-FSB I have to max this setting?

I notice the mobo/system runs a lot hotter if I leave all these voltage settings on 'auto'.

Soldato
OP
Well this says to me my board is faulty, since no ammount of voltage increasing or decreasing will make the board post past 343. Ill order a new board now and hope for the best!

Associate
commando

my board is a commando to and running at the moment 405x8 only held back by temperature starting going over 57 i have orderd Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro i hope it is going to help raising the fsb and voltage further
ram geil pc6400 810mzh 4 4 4 12 1:1
core duo e6600 stock fan
enermax liberty 500w
any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom