Packing as many pixels as possible into an 82cm wide space (rec some monitors?)

Associate
I'm setting up my home office in a (tiny) room. I have no more than 820mm of width to play with - plenty of height. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what I should do? Whatever it is needs to be wall mountable.

Got these ideas:
  • 50" 4K in portrait. Would look great, but I'm sure I can get far more workspace (and reduce up/down head movement) by going smaller with multiple screens.
  • 2x 34" ultrawide curved, mounted above and below each other. The Dell UltraSharps look good but the price is overkill for a pair. I figure curved left / right in portrait is dumb.
  • 2x 4K something, left / right portrait. I think this is the sanest option, however it's the one with the most possibilities and I'm hitting a wall as to panel types and what's worth having/rejecting.
Colour accuracy isn't important, nor is refresh rate - these are just for development/office type work. I do need them comfortable to look at for 6-8 hours per day.

Associate
Not sure running main screen in portrait is a good thing, may get some scan-skew as the screen scan will be vertical rather than usual horizontal.
https://www.testufo.com/scanskew

Definitely notice the jelly scrolling effect (screen tearing) on my second screen which is in portrait (Old 22" 60Hz IPS Dell), ok for occasional use but would bug me as main screen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not sure running main screen in portrait is a good thing, may get some scan-skew as the screen scan will be vertical rather than usual horizontal.
https://www.testufo.com/scanskew

Definitely notice the jelly scrolling effect (screen tearing) on my second screen which is in portrait (Old 22" 60Hz IPS Dell), ok for occasional use but would bug me as main screen.

Thanks for the link! Tried it on the old 24" portrait at work, definitely noticeable in the test but I've not seen it ever in daily use. Just tried enabling smooth scrolling in Firefox and see it then, but I tend to have smooth scrolling disabled everywhere.

that's a lot of height to be working with for 8 hours a day. 2"29's is pushing it, IMO. We do have a 4x29" (2x2) setup at work and i really wouldnt want to go higher than that.

Does seem to be a bit much, and it's not really what I'd like. I'm used to having single screens > 1440p and other than the "coming-soon-for-6-months-no-release-date" LG 34" UW there's nothing about.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the words of discouragement :) After some more thought, considering the requirement for keeping whatever cool, I'm going to see what I can find within the bog-standard single 32" 4K range, at least until some of the planned 34" monitors get to a sensible price.

Back
Top Bottom