Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
Had a quick look and couldn't find one thread devoted to paddlesports. Happy to be told otherwise.

Let's use this thread to discuss any element of paddlesports. Kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle boards, etc.

I've dabbled in Kayaking throughout my youth in Scouts and in December 18 joined my local club. Haven't done any moving water yet but, have got to 2*/Paddle Explore standard on flat water.

Also just completed my FSRT (Foundation Safety and Rescue training) which was immense fun and very wet.

Anyone planning any trips?

Man of Honour
I kayak and sup but mostly flat water on Thames. Have a little Thames tour coming up from Henley back to home just down from Hampton court. Got a new 14 foot rigid board yesterday nice jump in terms of glide over my inflatable.

Associate
OP
I kayak and sup but mostly flat water on Thames. Have a little Thames tour coming up from Henley back to home just down from Hampton court. Got a new 14 foot rigid board yesterday nice jump in terms of glide over my inflatable.

14 ft sounds massive for a SUP. We have tiny ones at the club but, that seems to make them go in circles when I paddle them!

Man of Honour
my other board is 10ft 4. 14 makes a massive difference, it's a faster shape too. Looking forward to covering a bit more ground with it.

Trip I'm planning will have couple of touring kayaks, one tandem, one canoe and me on a SUP. Think I'll be ruined compared to the others.

Man of Honour
You can get a really decent inflatable sup set up now for about £500 (you can spend less but can be ropey) then you just need some water.

Associate
OP
I'd love to get into something like this, but when looking at options the nearest place was around an hour away which is a bit far really for a hobby.

Am off to Corfu next month and might look to rent something.

I have some friends from Euxton Canoe Club who meet in Chorley.

Associate
14 foot Naish Glide inflatable is my latest toy, been using a 10 foot 6 Naish hard board for the last 9 years, that extra length makes all the difference.

So much more quicker & goes is a straight line much easier too.

Looking to get a Naish wingsurfer as well, which looks good fun for windy days.

Tend to paddle on the North Sea most of the time in Suffolk.

Cheers all

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Interesting, I knew SUP's were popular. I didn't think they was this popular.

I suppose our club has 5 boards (180 boats/craft in total) but, we paddle in Liverpool docks and there is always other paddleboarders in there.

Man of Honour
Looking to get a Naish wingsurfer as well, which looks good fun for windy days.

Tend to paddle on the North Sea most of the time in Suffolk.

Cheers all

I have an arrows irig inflatable sail which I use with my fanatic fly air. Great fun convertible way of using a SUP to windsurf. inflatable boom and mast make it very light and easy for people to learn, lacks the power to plane but good enough up to about 13 knots.

Caporegime
Fastest growing watersport worldwide, inflatable sups make up 80% of the market share as well.

Cheers all

Looks good on the Gram that’s why, especially if you’re a slim 20 something... ;)

I just find it’s a lot more effort to go a lot less distance than a kayak. Don’t quite see the point tbh, but my GF loves it...

Associate
Looks good on the Gram that’s why, especially if you’re a slim 20 something... ;)

I just find it’s a lot more effort to go a lot less distance than a kayak. Don’t quite see the point tbh, but my GF loves it...

I was out on the 14 foot sup Saturday morning, travelling 11 feet per single stroke according to my Garmin Fenix, was actually quite
surprised considering is was not paddling that hard.

Cheers all

Soldato
Did a fair bit of kayaking in younger years up to the occasional grade 4. Lot of grade 3 stuff. Had a go on a sprint kayak in the sea a few months ago. Quite enjoyed being out in sea especially if a nice day.

Associate
Perfect day last Saturday at the east coast on the north sea, only 15 minutes drive from where I live which is a bonus too.

Cheers all

Man of Honour

Sup prob is more effort but it has its rewards. I have a couple of 12 foot touring kayaks and both 10 foot and 14 foot SUPS. I've kayaked a lot more but the last few years have been prob 80% SUP. You get a very different view, more of a work out (arguably). I love both but get a lot more out of SUP.

Caporegime
It’s a different experience for sure. We have a couple of 12 ft “transition” kayaks (flat, class 2/3 waters), a cheap 10 footer and a 17ft Canoe. The latter is the most “practical”, but requires the most effort (close to SUP like). I prefer the 12s as they’re a good all round kayak for what we do (lakes and fast rivers with some mild white water). Only problem with them is storage space is at a premium.

I’d definitely move up to 14s if I lived by the coast though. Faster and more storage space for camping gear.

We may pick up a SUP at some point, but it’s impractical for us. The rivers are too fast and the local reservoir doesn’t allow it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom