Painting a radiator white.

Associate
So what do I need to get to successfully paint my radiator white. I have never painting anything other than a wall in my life so some advice would be very much appreciated. Let's assume the radiator will he getting upto 60C temps wise.

Primer? Type of paint? Coats?

Associate
Get some thin cardboard to cover the fins whilst you paint. Get some spare screws so that you can hang the radiator somewhere to dry between coats. Make sure to cover any empty g1/4 fittings so no paint gets inside the radiator. I usually use a primer before I paint just in case. Use quick drying stuff, don't bother with the spray paint that takes a day to dry etc. Use a flat white, don't use glossy.

I have painted quite a few AIO's and radiators. However....

I'd highly suggest saving yourself the trouble by just buying a new radiator in white.
Alphacool have just re-released a lot of their radiators in white. Black Ice have a lot of their radiators in white too.
Unless you are looking for an x-flow radiator, i don't know of any that come in white.

Associate
Why not just buy white fans for the 1080? That way you don’t have to paint anything.
https://imgur.com/a/wnlD4qO

This was my old setup with the exact same radiator. If you used 9x white fans on this it would look pretty cool.
wnlD4qO

Associate
I painted 2 EKWB PE 360 Classics to white, used 400 grit to sand it a little bit and apply the paint better and used radiator spray paint from wilkos in glossy white :D They came out amazing. Just make sure to do cover up the fins themselves with cardboard and masking tape.

Associate
OP
would it be a bad idea to hit the fions with some of the spray? i do have radiator that have the fins sprayed black ( you can see the copper colour if you look into the fins ).

Associate
would it be a bad idea to hit the fions with some of the spray? i do have radiator that have the fins sprayed black ( you can see the copper colour if you look into the fins ).
Usually would affect performance at some extent. How much? Only testing.
Some auto spray paint may work. I don’t see a scenario where the radiator will be hot enough to need a specific radiator paint. The bit to be painted won’t be as hot as the fin/tubes area, anyway. When you take a radiator apart (the ones where it is possible, like the EK XE) you’ll notice that the outer casing doesn’t sit flush to the fin area. It will get warm only because is too close to the fin area, but if it was supposed to work as a cooling area, some thermalpad or any other solution would been applied to make use of that area.

Back
Top Bottom