Painting black fence panels..

Soldato
I bought the house with half the fence panels in a dark black which had gone a slight grey through sun damage, replaced some and stupidly tried to match them down up, painted all the panels but I now feel it just makes the garden look closed in and drab, pretty much exactly like this....
$_86.PNG

What's the best course of action. I am not going to sand these down, so unless I go with a strong primer and then actually painting them instead of a stain. I don't know what to do.

Would stripper take enough colour oit, or am I wasting time trying?

Soldato
OP
I haven't. I have seen a pressure washer take paint off of decking, but that was a solid style paint, I assumed that it wouldn't work because the stain has bled into the wood itself.

Not a bad idea to give a it go first though.

Soldato
Rough sawn timber absorbs stain really well so you stand very little chance of getting it off without causing significant damage to the timber. You'll need to paint over it.

Alternatively (and depending on quantity) it might be easier to just replace them at circa £30 a panel.

Soldato
OP
Rough sawn timber absorbs stain really well so you stand very little chance of getting it off without causing significant damage to the timber. You'll need to paint over it.

Alternatively (and depending on quantity) it might be easier to just replace them at circa £30 a panel.

I thought as much. Some have faded really badly so I was hoping I could maybe break down the black with some strong fluids.
Not really realistic to change them as its about 15 panels and some aren't mine.

Soldato
OP
I would just save yourself the hassle and replace the panel! New fencing really brightens up a garden!

Not really wanting to waste, 500quid on replacing all the panels for the sack of some aesthetics.. Just wondering if it could be covered or removed cheaply.
Appreciate the suggestion though.

Soldato
OP
You've spunked six figures on a house and you're quibbling over £500?

Yes when it doesn't need doing. It's not the end of the world. I'm just asking for suggestions on changing something I don't like.
I hardly spent 6figures on house, it's called a mortgage. 500quid is lot of money to waste on replacing decent fences that are just ugly.
Wow I'm surprised that such an issue to understand.

Yes when it doesn't need doing. It's not the end of the world. I'm just asking for suggestions on changing something I don't like.
I hardly spent 6figures on house, it's called a mortgage. 500quid is lot of money to waste on replacing decent fences that are just ugly.
Wow I'm surprised that such an issue to understand.
I was totally skint for several years after buying my first house (and I regret nothing).
£500 may be a lot right now, but in 5 years time you might be rollin' in dollah :).

Soldato
Soldato
Although mine are stained, some bits have bare wood showing now so I don't think the stain goes that deep in to the wood. I had this on my last house using a cuprinol product too.

Soldato
OP
The same Ronseal one coat that is posted above. Its black oak.. The older ones are greyer and that's why I am not a fan, as I have painted over these also and now I have various different shades of black.

I think I'll take the pressure washer to them first and see if can lighten them enough to take on another stain.

Soldato
For the sake of a cheap fix and not really losing anything, i'd just slap on some decent outdoor paint without doing anything to them first and they will last a few years yet.

Soldato
Just paint over it? Pressure washing will do nothing as it's soaked into the wood.

Agreed. Pressure washing will just damage the timber. They look like pretty cheap/thin panels, you'll likely just blow out the knots and lift the knap of the wood. Pressure washing works better when there's old paint on the surface and it's not rough sawn (e.g. on a shed).

For 15 panels I think I'd paint over them with Cuprinol garden shades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom