Painting the Bedroom Advice

Associate
Hi, I'm moving into a new house and need to paint the bedroom.
However I do not understand the procedure in painting already painted walls. This is my first time painting.
I will be using Dulux Trade Paint.

The walls are already painted with 2 colours. Light purple and light green (lemongrass). I want to paint it clouded pearl (a greyish white).

I've prepared the walls I think. So, filled holes with Spackle and sanding is done.
do I really need to clean the walls with sugar soap? because I've kinda skipped that. Is it still do-able at this stage?

So, for when I do actually paint. I seems applying undercoat is recommended as it helps for when I apply the top coat of paint (less coats).
But, I am not sure which one is the right tin of undercoat paint to buy on the Dulux website.

there is undercoats for interior wood and metal surfaces. But I am trying to apply it on already painted surfaces. Is that even suitable? I'm puzzled.

Oh, And any recommendations for brushes and rollers? I hear they make a lot of difference compared to using cheaper ones.

EDIT: Oh, I've forgot to ask you guys what finish is best for the top coat (clouded pearl colour) on the wall. Matt? Flat Matt? Silk? etc...
Also, What about the ceiling finish and trim finish? Ceiling and trimmings will also be a white colour.

My parents have gone silk all over the house (they have VERY little experience in painting and have done what they like. sigh...).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Req I'd personally have just sanded the walls to 'key' them and then I'd have used a cloth and sugar soap to wipe down the dust and any crap left on them. I wouldn't over think it too much beyond that.

Oh and definitely get a good brush. A two inch angled brush from Screwfix for about 6 quid was the best painting tool I've bought.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yeah a little wash of sugar soap will do it good.

As above use good brushes, rollers and clean them well and they will last for ages.

Cheap brushes will cause you more pain with the bristles falling out every other stroke, and after a while it really ****es you off :)

if its your first time painting I would be tempted to get a light coat of white on first to soften the previous colour, and get used to your equipment

Some tips, though

When edging don't go too thick, more coats is better than thick coats, and try to avoid creating an edge mid wall.
Assuming your using a roller go in multiple directions, not just straight lines.
Be careful not to try to over roller too quickly, ie ensure its definately dry before adding another coat, its very easy if you try to roller too quickly to lift the previous layer of paint off.
Just take your time and don't rush.
You will get a better effect with poor tools used well, that great tools used poorly or quickly.
Decorating is an art not a science, find what works well for you and stick to it.
Lots of different types of application method, brush, pad, roller, different roller types etc
I really really recommend this roller set. Its the best I have ever used.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/t-class-ultima-roller-tray-set-3-pcs/3740g
The handle will also take a screw in pole, eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-3-section-aluminium-extension-pole-3m/10063

Mini rollers also work very well for edging in, I just use a cheapy one for this as most of it gets covered by the main roller, eg
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ece-set-foam-knitted-polyester-pile-4-x/71279

Soldato
Have you bought the Dulux Trade? I used Dulux Trade Super Matt white on a kitchen and it took about 4 coats to get it looking good wheras Johnstones went on much better in another room.

Soldato
No point really in applying an undercoat unless the colour change is extreme (doesn't sound like it is), you've opted for an expensive paint colour or the wall is brittle.

You should wipe the walls down with sugar soap or something similar to remove any grease or oils that may be on the wall, which could make the paint react.

Harris brushes and rollers imo.

Soldato
A roller with an extension pole is one of the best decorating tools I have purchased.

This, the best thing I've ever done is move to doing 90% plus of the walls with a roller on a pole saves so much time it's unbelievable.

Have you bought the Dulux Trade? I used Dulux Trade Super Matt white on a kitchen and it took about 4 coats to get it looking good wheras Johnstones went on much better in another room.

Odd I found the trade super mat fantastic the finish on the ceilings in my loft conversion after two coats is the best in our house. Everyone has different preferences though and Johnstones does get a good rep especially on here.

I've had good experience with these as well, decent brushes and rollers makes a really big difference to the finish.

Associate
OP
if its your first time painting I would be tempted to get a light coat of white on first to soften the previous colour, and get used to your equipment

Some tips, though

When edging don't go too thick, more coats is better than thick coats, and try to avoid creating an edge mid wall.
Assuming your using a roller go in multiple directions, not just straight lines.
Be careful not to try to over roller too quickly, ie ensure its definately dry before adding another coat, its very easy if you try to roller too quickly to lift the previous layer of paint off.
Just take your time and don't rush.
You will get a better effect with poor tools used well, that great tools used poorly or quickly.
Decorating is an art not a science, find what works well for you and stick to it.
Lots of different types of application method, brush, pad, roller, different roller types etc
I really really recommend this roller set. Its the best I have ever used.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/t-class-ultima-roller-tray-set-3-pcs/3740g
The handle will also take a screw in pole, eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-3-section-aluminium-extension-pole-3m/10063

Mini rollers also work very well for edging in, I just use a cheapy one for this as most of it gets covered by the main roller, eg
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ece-set-foam-knitted-polyester-pile-4-x/71279

Thanks for the tips and the recommendations.

A light coat of white? you mean buy another Pure/brilliant white paint to cover the previous colour (or act as a undercoat?) and help with my appliance of the top coat (clouded pearl)?

Well, I've been told Dulux has top quality paint, and I've already picked my colour from there so...I guess I'll stick with it for now. Never actually heard of Johnstones. Maybe I will consider that next time.

No point really in applying an undercoat unless the colour change is extreme (doesn't sound like it is), you've opted for an expensive paint colour or the wall is brittle.

You should wipe the walls down with sugar soap or something similar to remove any grease or oils that may be on the wall, which could make the paint react.

Well, Dulux is an expensive brand. I checked the price and it costs around £45 (5L) depending on my finish, so does that really qualify as expensive?

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Oh, I've forgot to ask you guys what finish is best for the top coat (clouded pearl colour) on the wall. Matt? Flat Matt? Silk? etc...
Also, What about the ceiling finish and trim finish? Ceiling and trimmings will also be a white colour.

My parents have gone silk all over the house (they have VERY little experience in painting and have done what they like. sigh...).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom