Pairing RAM with the B360 Aorus Gaming Wifi 3

Associate
Hi

I'm confused by the seemingly apparent lack of modules (according to QVL list at least) that will run at advertised speeds on the above board.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-21300c16-2666mhz-dual-channel-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2a2666-my-454-cs.html
For example: Advertised as a 2666Mhz kit that will only run at native speed of 2133Mhz according to the QVL. Most of the RAM modules I have checked seem to follow this pattern.

The only module I have stumbled across where the native speed matches the advertised speed is:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kingston-fury-black-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-21300c16-2666mhz-dual-channel-kit-hx426c16fb2k2-16-my-27f-ks.html

Am I interpreting this right? Seems a bit strange if so.... as you could buy 2 kits with difference speeds and they end up performing the same. Indeed, in some cases it seems the lower rated kit will actually perform at a faster native speed than a higher rated?!

(NB. Also if you were to buy a kit that is rated higher than the B360 board supports (ie. anything higher than 2666Mhz), would said kit automatically run at the max speed the board supports or does it not work like that?

Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Soldato
Hi

I'm confused by the seemingly apparent lack of modules (according to QVL list at least) that will run at advertised speeds on the above board.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-21300c16-2666mhz-dual-channel-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2a2666-my-454-cs.html
For example: Advertised as a 2666Mhz kit that will only run at native speed of 2133Mhz according to the QVL. Most of the RAM modules I have checked seem to follow this pattern.

The only module I have stumbled across where the native speed matches the advertised speed is:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kingston-fury-black-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-21300c16-2666mhz-dual-channel-kit-hx426c16fb2k2-16-my-27f-ks.html

Am I interpreting this right? Seems a bit strange if so.... as you could buy 2 kits with difference speeds and they end up performing the same. Indeed, in some cases it seems the lower rated kit will actually perform at a faster native speed than a higher rated?!

(NB. Also if you were to buy a kit that is rated higher than the B360 board supports (ie. anything higher than 2666Mhz), would said kit automatically run at the max speed the board supports or does it not work like that?

Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I am far from the expert in RAM on AMD platform but recently did a lot of research. The way it works is that you need to just make sure firstly that you buy Samsung B die ram. This will increase your chance of compatibility. If you want to play it safe buy the OCUK 2X8GB 3200mhz 8 pac ram. That seems to work well with AMD platform. The motherboard will most likely just load at 2133mhz default during first boot, mine did. This is the safest possible running speed for the platform even if your ram will not run at rated speed. Then from here you can begin to adjust the speed upwards to see what your CPU memory controller will allow in terms of memory speed.

Before you start playing with the ram, first update the BIOS to the most latest as this will have the best chance of higher speeds and stability. Although this may not always be the case but its good practice. You could always roll back bios.

this is roughly the procedure. There are some tools that will suggest to you the best ram timing for your platform but i will let someone more knowledgable than me guide you there before i break your equipment :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am far from the expert in RAM on AMD platform but recently did a lot of research. The way it works is that you need to just make sure firstly that you buy Samsung B die ram. This will increase your chance of compatibility. If you want to play it safe buy the OCUK 2X8GB 3200mhz 8 pac ram. That seems to work well with AMD platform. The motherboard will most likely just load at 2133mhz default during first boot, mine did. This is the safest possible running speed for the platform even if your ram will not run at rated speed. Then from here you can begin to adjust the speed upwards to see what your CPU memory controller will allow in terms of memory speed.

Before you start playing with the ram, first update the BIOS to the most latest as this will have the best chance of higher speeds and stability. Although this may not always be the case but its good practice. You could always roll back bios.

this is roughly the procedure. There are some tools that will suggest to you the best ram timing for your platform but i will let someone more knowledgable than me guide you there before i break your equipment :D

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the B360 motherboard in question is an Intel board... perhaps you're referring to the B350?

Soldato
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the B360 motherboard in question is an Intel board... perhaps you're referring to the B350?

Get cheapest 2400hz kit you can find ! XMP , job done . Don't worry about the list . It's intel not amd-ryzen so will work just fine

Cheapest 8 and 16GB

Also if you fancy RGB, then Aorus 4 sticks - two are fake - will run at 2666hz not 3200hz

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £487.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Back
Top Bottom