Panasonic 58DX902B to LG C7 OLED

Soldato
Can the experts tell me if this would be a nice upgrade, as we've seen the B/C7 LG OLED in 55" can be had for £1350, I've wanted to jump onto the OLED train for a while now but owning the this Panny would this be a viable upgrade?
What could I get for a 2nd hand 58DX902 nowadays?

Soldato
genuine pan refurbs with year guarantee 629, so with a transferable warranty on gumtree maybe 450-500.
Its a highly regarded/reliable lcd set, so I would hang on until you have your moneys'worth and oled prices have dropped furrther in a years time

Caporegime
There's one guy here who swears by his 902b....

For me, I nearly bought a 902b in 2016, but went for a B6 OLED in the end. It's the best TV I've owned.

John Linnerman and Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry both have LG B6 OLED's as well.

Caporegime
but went for a B6 OLED in the end. It's the best TV I've owned.

Gary, I'm really pondering the C7V for an all-round monitor/TV atm. How do you find the B6 for gaming? Would you say that the super responsiveness of the OLED tech (over LCD) helps in regards to motion etc? I'll be capping it at 60 (dropping detail when needed), or 1080p/120Hz (depends on the game). Thanks.

Caporegime
The B6 doesn't support 120hz, but I know the B7/C7 do.

I use mind for gaming a lot, I love it. The colours are incredible, There's no motion blur etc. I play for hours at a time on it and have never experienced image retention either.

Before LG deployed the 'HDR game' mode, I did find HDR gaming a bit 'laggy' but now it's great. C7 should be even better.

Caporegime
Echo what Vincent said with my B7, for me it's so much better than any monitor I have used, I had an ultrawide ROG swift beforehand and whilst I did notice the lower refresh rate and wouldn't game competetively on it for the likes of CSGO it has made gaming in all other areas just so much more enjoyable, the colours will really blow you away if you go for it and it's exceptional at HDR for the games that use it.

I had a bash on Skyrim over the weekend and in dark areas it looked phenominal, on previous monitors I've used the grey blacks and bleed really ruin some of those areas.

Caporegime
Yeah I have an Acer Predator X34a 100hz G-sync monitor.

I tend to use the OLED for everything when the girlfriend isn't around. Night and day difference in picture quality.

Soldato
No, not worth the upgrade yet. If you were buying outright, OLED every time. But the 902B is one of the best LCD TVs you can buy. I would wait until OLED has matured a little more - LCD at this point has had years of innovation. OLED has had little by comparison.

Edit: really wouldn't be using an OLED as a monitor. LG don't cover screen burn under warranty, something you'll probably encounter when using it as a monitor, displaying static images for hours on end.

Soldato
OP
Was hoping my 902 would be worth a little more, in which case I might as well keep in another couple of years, the C7 sounds a great set though, and for £1350 - would I be silly not to get one, I really need to see them side by side to decide, I'm sure the OLED is going to be better than mine?

Associate
I absolutely love my 65x 902b. it is the best picture i have seen on any Tv , if you are determined to go down the OLED route , if you don't mind paying the return carriage , why not order one on line and you will covered by the distance selling thing

Soldato
OP
Was just thinking that, there is nothing wrong with my 902b it's a little over a year old and looks great, would love to see them side by side, think I might go down to the store and have a quick look before I buy and try.

Associate
Went ahead and orderd the C7, should be comming Wednesday, might do a bit of side by side comparison.

Any one got a good calibration setup I can use?

ill be interested in your findings , but to be fair on the C7 your 902B should have bedded in quite nicely by now

Back
Top Bottom