Panasonic 58DX902B to LG C7 OLED

Soldato
OP
Please link if anyone finds the Panasonic 58dx902 for £629 as a refurbished. I'll jump all over that

Yeah I think I'd buy another for that as well, I put it up on a popular TV forum for £899 and I've already had some £800 bite's which I might as well take.

The 902B is by far the best TV I have personally experienced, the C7V had better be mind blowing otherwise it'll be going back, no shame in keeping the 902b at all. I watch a lot of Digital Foundry reviews and always take note of they're opinions and as one of their presenters has the 2016 B6 version it's gotta be good.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
First impressions, picture quality is way better, colours and blacks are insane, it's taking my eyes some conjusting to it tbh. The back light isn't as bright but bright enough, the sound quality is no where near as good as the DX902, it just doesn't have the bass and mid's the panny does, the quality and clarity is good but I prefer my old TV's sound, when I got my DX I even sold my £200 sound bar as it wasn't needed, looks like I'll be buying another with the LG. WebOS is much nicer to use also.
After 4 hours most of it spent calibrating my difference devices so far I'm happy with the change, Gaming looks really nice and so does War Dog's in 4k HDR.
More fiddling to come tonight.

Soldato
About colour improvement, maybe the oled's are better out of the box (as reviews suggest), but, if you had calibrated the dx902, as it sounds, curious that colours look better ?
902 is VA panel ,isn't it ? so viewing angles should be better.

Soldato
OP
Not checked the viewing angles as this isn't really an issue for my positional viewing. My DX902 was calibrated via some well recommended settings from AVforums, the LG's seems more true to life, I don't want to use the word vivid as satuation comes to mind then, it's hard to explain as I'm far from a TV expert. I need to play around with my Xbox one X colours as they seem a little washed out compaired with the DX902, all calibration settings use a colour of 55 which to me doesn't look enough.

Associate
i wouldn't bother tweeking the oled yet , its going to need to bed in , using somebody's settings isn't calibrating , panels vary as do room conditions . watch the gaming on the OLED for burn in :)

Caporegime
About colour improvement, maybe the oled's are better out of the box (as reviews suggest), but, if you had calibrated the dx902, as it sounds, curious that colours look better ?
902 is VA panel ,isn't it ? so viewing angles should be better.

OLEd doesn't have any viewing angle issues compared to LED

Doesn't matter whether it's VA or IPS.

Soldato
OLEd doesn't have any viewing angle issues compared to LED

Doesn't matter whether it's VA or IPS.

Well if TV's have TN, then yes off angle would be either purple or yellow, but a wide angle LCD screen type should result in acceptable viewing, I believe IPS has the best viewing angle and when viewed off angle it keeps up brightness and colour?

And who watches TV at a acute angle anyway?

Soldato
Most led lit TVs are VA panels these days rather than IPS. VA off axis viewing angle isn't terrible but it's not the best. Far as I'm aware it goes in this order, best to worst: OLED - IPS - VA - TN

Soldato
..adding in the sous-entendre/missing words ;)
902 is (ONLY A) VA panel ,isn't it ? so viewing angles should be better (ON THE OLED, THAN AN IPS PANEL MIGHT HAVE BEEN).(

EDIT : if you had never looked at this guy even oleds not perfect

Last edited:
Caporegime
jpaul just has a hard on for downplaying the goodness of owning an OLED, still laughing at people mentioning burn in as well, there was a 2016 OLED set that had been on display for a year in my local curry's when I went in a few months back with a logo in one corner for most of the day and there was zero image retention, I even joked around with the LG rep saying they must replace the display models regularly to avoid it and he said it hasn't been an issue since their first OLED sets.

I haven't seen anyone on avforums produce an image of permanent burn in and that place is far more anal than the few nutjobs we have on here.

Soldato
jpaul just has a hard on for downplaying the goodness of owning an OLED, still laughing at people mentioning burn in as well, there was a 2016 OLED set that had been on display for a year in my local curry's when I went in a few months back with a logo in one corner for most of the day and there was zero image retention, I even joked around with the LG rep saying they must replace the display models regularly to avoid it and he said it hasn't been an issue since their first OLED sets.

I haven't seen anyone on avforums produce an image of permanent burn in and that place is far more anal than the few nutjobs we have on here.

Even though I generally agree with your statement about burn in, your local LG rep isn't exactly proof it doesn't occur. I've seen plenty of OLED displays with screen burn, but have seen many more without.

There was, in fact, a guy selling his OLED TV on AVForums that was suffering with pretty poor screen burn/image.

Soldato
jpaul just has a hard on for downplaying the goodness of owning an OLED, still laughing at people mentioning burn in as well
I just want value for money, discarding a well built Panasonic, for what I think is a marginal improvement, when waiting 6 months, for, say USA equivalent pricing of oled 55b7 £1050 is my preferred path, and with the additional 40% LG manufacturing capacity prices should come down.

Burn-in is not the problem, it is longer term degradation of the oled's due to overdriving (that is all what abl is about) and uncorrectable colour shift, a 10 year guarantee would put that too bed.

Associate
[QUOTE="Ayahuasca, post: 31364012, member: 160089"and that place is far more anal than the few nutjobs we have on here.[/QUOTE]

:D

Soldato

That place is a joke. They perma banned me from the site because I changed my mind on a sale. lol

Caporegime
This tells you enough you need to know about that test:

Limitations of the test
  • Small sample size, so it won't show the variance between units of the same technology
  • Extreme case, where TVs are running 20 hours a day with the same 5.5 hours loop. You will get a better lifespan at home if you use the TV less and with more varied content.

Back
Top Bottom