Parallels 19 is out (the thread previously about Parallels 17 and 18)

Associate
Ok, questions :)

I installed the w11 home option that Parralels offered as part of setup. It won't activate with a Pro key I have. Do I have to activate it with a home key? Are "normal" pro keys different to keys that will work on w11 arm?

TY

Associate
Fixed it. You need to go offline / airplane mode, upgrade with a generic code, then it errors....but reboot and it upgrades. After that my pro key activated just fine.

Associate
ok, this is a good one. I have a keyboard issue I dont think my use case is unique but here we go.

M1 MBP
Parallels 17, Windos 11 Pro inside it.
Lets say I need to type a password such as Bannana@2
On the MBP it works fine.
Within W11 it works fine, pressing the same keys.
From within W11 I rdp to a windows server, pressing the same keys I get Banana"2, but that's cool I can work round that by pressing the " key on the mac to get an @
(still with me? lol)
The windows server I RDP to is a Hyper V host. If I then open up a console to access those machines I hit a problem....The shift keys stop working. I can get capitals by using caps lock but can't get any characters that use the shift key as a modifier.

Anybody seen this? I'm currently using notepad on the Windows HV Host and copy and pasting.

Man of Honour

We know it’s been a long time coming, so we’re happy to be able to finally share a little of what we’ve been working on for the Mac platform.

In this free, public release, we’re looking for feedback from users as we iron out kinks and add new capabilities to Fusion, on both Intel as well as Apple Silicon, in preparation for more formal support later this year.

Without further ado, let’s look at what’s in this release:

For those ready to get started, here’s the download link and the tl;dr

• Windows 11 on Intel and Apple Silicon with 2D GFX and Networking
  • VMtools installation for Windows 11 GOS on M1
  • Improved Linux support on M1
  • 3D Graphics HW Acceleration and OpenGL 4.3 in Linux VMs* (Requires Linux 5.19+ & Mesa 22.1.3+)
  • Virtual TPM Device
  • Fast Encryption
  • Universal Binary

Si.

Si.

Soldato
The new Fusion is obviously better than the last version, but it's still got some major issues and way behind Parallels. The thing frustrating me the most at the moment is the screen resolution of the VM. Resizing the windows or making it full screen just stretches everything and doesn't change the VM resolution. Very frustrating.

I also don't seem to be able to get into Unity mode, it's grey out.

Last edited:
Soldato
And now Parallels 18. This seems to have solved some of the pausing in Win 11 I was seeing on the Studio which is great.

It's obviously 96% faster so Windows is now booted up at least 3 days before you think about it. Honestly, those claims are so ridiculous.

Commissario
OP
I had the renewal come through for Parallels, it’s gone from £44.99 last year to £65.99.

I’m very pleased that I no longer need to run Adobe Muse under a Mojave VM and I took great pleasure in cancelling the renewal. I’ve been using it since V7, they’re now on V19.

Soldato
I had the renewal come through for Parallels, it’s gone from £44.99 last year to £65.99.

I’m very pleased that I no longer need to run Adobe Muse under a Mojave VM and I took great pleasure in cancelling the renewal. I’ve been using it since V7, they’re now on V19.
I really didn't like Parallels (and I can never spell it correctly either! :D). If all you wanted was to run Microsoft Office or some small business app it would be fine but if you are trying to do something on Linux with multiple virtual machines then I'd say Fusion is so much better (and it runs Windows 11 fine!).

UTM is free and can do most this stuff as well. It costs money on the app store but the website has it for free.

Associate
I really didn't like Parallels (and I can never spell it correctly either! :D). If all you wanted was to run Microsoft Office or some small business app it would be fine but if you are trying to do something on Linux with multiple virtual machines then I'd say Fusion is so much better (and it runs Windows 11 fine!).

UTM is free and can do most this stuff as well. It costs money on the app store but the website has it for free.

How is this for playing games on if you have tried it?

I have parallel and it can play Titanfall 2 but it stutters a lot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom