Parents - How old were you when your first child was born?

Associate
Hello!

A question for the parents on here, as title - How old were you when your first child was born?

It'd be great if you could also include details such as location (north vs south) and perhaps the age of your partner at that time, too. With the benefit of hindsight was this the correct age or would you recommend others have their first child earlier or later?

I have been with my partner for nine and a half years - We're engaged. Lately we've began discussing our expectations at what age we think we should consider children. This is something we both want, it is just a matter of when. As a baseline, if my partner and I decided to try for a child immediately we'd both be 28 at birth. On the face of it this seemed reasonable but having read around a little it seems the average age a couple have their first child has risen to 30 and that there is a significant difference between couples in the north (who tend to have children earlier) than those in the south. I'm originally from the midlands (currently living in the south) so I'm not sure where that leaves me!

I understand the 'right time' is different for everybody but I'd like to hear from others - This is simply something I'm idling playing out in my mind at the moment and thought it would be interesting to get other opinions.

Mods, would it be possible to make a poll?

Thanks!

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I was 36 years old:) The wife was 33, we planned to have a child and we thought it would take some time as we had friends who had been trying for years. 1 Month later job done:) Same thing happaned with our second child:)

Oh and I live in the propper North, Carlisle.

Soldato
If you wait for "the right time" it'll rarely come as you'll always never be able to afford it (in your head if you try and work it out) and in reality you make it work. As long as you're in an OK position and it's what you want, you'll make it work and do it well.

Caporegime
I was in my early twenties but it was probably too soon or maybe your never going to feel ready until you've already had one and learned how hard it all is

Soldato
27, wife is 18 months older than me.

It was planned, but I feel it was a little soon - by perhaps about 2/3 years. We already had a house/mortgage, but could have easily squirrelled away an extra £20k in those 3 years which would have set us up a bit better for the drain of parenthood.

Plus, all my son's friends' dads are 5+ years older than me (he's 5 now, in reception class), and are just that bit ahead in careers and finances (helped, in ways I could never have been, by the fact they were able to get on the housing ladder in time to catch the massive upsurge. That and they are all from wealthier families than I)

I'm in the South/West.

Soldato
31 (both - 32 now). While we weren't 100% sure if we were ready, in hindsight, I'd like to have done it a bit earlier, maybe 3 years or thereabouts. Mainly because I think about my age later in their life.

We're in the north (Cheshire).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there are also arguments for and against early vs later.

Earlier, you get it out the way, they grow up and you get to enjoy that time with them, yet you're "growing" yourself and your wife (most likely) will want a career too. Earlier means when they're old enough, she can still start a career without being too late.

Later you have probably more "stability" and are further in your careers, but then like in my job that means you're away more and they'll be older when you're older.

I'm 29, wife is 30 and ours are 9 month girl, 7 and 10 boys. The boys are my step sons but I've been with them for over 5 years now, nearly 6 and they're like my own.

Soldato
First child was born when I was 33 2nd child I was 38. My wife is a year older then me. Been with my missus for 22 odd years. Live in East Angular - Norwich ish way. Initially we both didn't want children, but as we got older our ideals changed. Best thing we ever did. It gave us a chance to further careers and enjoy exciting holidays away, do what we wanted when we wanted, that kind of thing. We've now settled down a lot more. My only concern is my age as they grow up, but it'll be fine.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I was 35 and the wife a bit younger, its very hard work and there is not right or wrong age, we had only been married a year and been together for 3 years.

We actually have 2 girls, 16 months apart, thats proper hard work. We want one more, not sure how long we wait, a part of us wants to wait till they are both at school (my suggestion of waiting till they are at uni was dismissed) or have another one sooner and get it all done with earlyish!

Back
Top Bottom