Parents with kids at school.

Associate
Any of you parents with children at school have much contact with any of the other parents of the children in your kids class?

Our wee guy started P1 recently and he got a note home from one of the other dads asking if all the dads wanted to meet up for a drink and a bite to eat just to get to know each other.

Is this the usual form with kids today, do you as parents have the occasional social evening with the other mums/dads? I honestly wasn't expecting much interaction with any of the other parents until my kid was friendly with one of their own kids and maybe wanted to meet up with them or something.

Thought it a bit unusual but then I'm not really in the school parent loop yet as my kids only started P1.

Soldato
Yeah my boy started recently but I've had no contact with the other parents yet. Mainly because most of them look like chavvy scrotes. I really wish he got into the school I wanted him to go to.

I think what normally will happen is your kid will make a friend and then want to go and play round their house, then you'll get to meet their parents.

Permabanned
We know most of the parents of my sons friends, not specifically those in his tutor group though.

Go along, seems like a great idea frankly.

Soldato
Our oldest son's class did that, go karting was the thing. Nearly everyone went first time then it whittled down and a few of us go to the pub every so often. The mums do stuff too. My youngest class never got organised.

Associate
OP
Yea, I'll most likely go along unless I'm working that evening or whatever but it'll probably be nice to meet the other dads. Be nice to know folks should any problems arise with the kids at any point or the kids get friendly with each other and so on.

His wife also arranged a night out for the mums as well.

Caporegime
dont even know the names of most of the kids in my sons class never mind the names of the parents....

hes been going to the school for like 4 years now to so ive seen most of the same parents collecting and dropping their kids off but no one ever talks to anyone apart from the parents that know each other already because they live near each other

Soldato
Seems like a nice enough idea, I doubt anyone wants to get to know your life story. Just to put names to faces, see who lives close to each other for the inevitable emergency kid drop off.

Soldato
I've made friends with a couple of fella's, who's wives are friends with my wife, through their kids going to the same school. Nothing more than a couple of beers every couple of months mind.

Once you have kids you will move around in different social circles, so this really is the norm. Go if you are a social person, you may actually enjoy yourself.

Permabanned
Is this the usual form with kids today, do you as parents have the occasional social evening with the other mums/dads?

Never come across such a thing before but I must say it would be nice if it did happen.

So many parents at schools are in their little groups - we are not part of the "in group", my mother in law gets greeted by them all, me and my wife are practically ignored by all bar a few who we are good friends with and meet up with reguarly.

Even at my daughters birthday party 90% of the parents didnt even say hello and acted as if i wasnt even there :(

Back
Top Bottom