Parking car in garage in winter bad?

Associate
Hey all,

I have recently been thinking about garaging my daily year round. How ever I have read around that a warm garage, plus a car that has been out in winter weather, water / salt will cause more rust to the underbody. And the temperature fluctations are not good either?

While my garage is not heated, is certainly warmer than outside. What is the best way to tackle this? Ideally I would like to keep the car in as good condition as possible. Would you advise garaging the car, or just leaving it outside?

Many Thanks

Soldato
If it’s a daily, I wouldn’t bother. Just clean it regularly.

If it was a summer car then sure, it would be suitably cleaned, dried and put away with a cover over it in the garage like I do with my bike.

Soldato
It's fine if it's well ventilated. But then it's still going to be freezing so might as well just leave it outside.

Soldato
I wouldn't put a wet car in the garage, i do put mine in if i think its going to be frosty the next day though so i don't have to faff with it in the morning so it has spent quite a few nights in the garage lately.

Caporegime
Hey all,

I have recently been thinking about garaging my daily year round. How ever I have read around that a warm garage, plus a car that has been out in winter weather, water / salt will cause more rust to the underbody. And the temperature fluctations are not good either?

While my garage is not heated, is certainly warmer than outside. What is the best way to tackle this? Ideally I would like to keep the car in as good condition as possible. Would you advise garaging the car, or just leaving it outside?

Many Thanks

Sounds like a load of crap.

As above if it's wet leave it outside to dry first. Otherwise park in the garage.

Whilst warmer than outside it's not a huge difference will be less than 10 degrees for sure. You are talking about major changes in heat. Cars are designed to work in many situations.

Also here in Scotland it can easily be 10C different in heat between the night and day.

Soldato
Problem is moisture will linger for ages in a garage if you keep putting a wet car in there. You might get mould as well.

Soldato
I parked in a garage for many years with no rust problems at all, summer or winter. Regardless of putting it away wet or dry it's protected from the elements more than being outside, plus you get the added protection of knowing it won't get keyed or pooed on, and its much less likely to be broken into or stolen.

It's a nobrainer if you have the option.

Back
Top Bottom