Parking Eye-A good news story.

Soldato
We all know who Parking Eye is dont we, Scumbags who rip off drivers by lying in wait and slapping on tickets while you are going to the "pay and display" machine, that sort of thing.

Well, not always...

A friend of mine recently parked in the local Liddles. They have a system where you have to scan your receipt and enter your reg no.

It was the first time she had been and she got flustered when the machine didn't scan her ticket properly and as a consequence she entered her reg no wrong (Transposed two of the numbers)

In due course the letter arrived demanding payment (over £100).

Initially I suggested that she should write a begging letter but when she went down again to check the T&C's she acknowledged that they did state that a charge would be due if the details were entered incorrectly. Being scrupulously honest and Honourable (Navy Family) she sent off her cheque with a short note on the back pointing out that she had incorrectly entered her reg no.

Note, She did NOT make an appeal on these grounds, she just mentioned it.

Well, here's the thing.

They returned her cheque! She won her appeal without actually making one!

So there we are, they are not all bad! :p

Soldato
Scumbags, the lot of them.

Left my car in a hotel car park where I stayed the night. Wasn't told I needed to enter my reg on a different computer terminal, but gave my reg on the checking in piece of paper that I had to sign.

Two months later and I get some letters in the post addressed to me, but with the wrong post code. First one saying I needed to pay £100 (might have been £80), and then the second saying because they hadn't received payment/appeal, I'd have to pay £200.

Took forever going back and forth with the clowns and providing evidence of my stay (bank statements, email invoices) for them to finally accept I was staying there the night - had the cheek to write back to say they'd let me pay the initial fee. Had to argue with them over two letters to get them to politely foxtrot oscar.

Scummy barstools.

Soldato
Went over by <15mins on a 4 hour stay at a shopping centre car park. Got "fined" £60 from parking eye. Told them to shove it up their arse. Consequently fine raised to £120 after 2 weeks.
Basically just don't pay them. They can't make you as it's not legally enforceable by them. Been over 2 years now and haven't had a letter in over 6 months so I'm pretty sure the letters have stopped. They must be bored of hassling me. (Touch wood).

Soldato
Technically they could send debt collectors round eventually, but they won't be ones with any kind of authority. So you can tell them to FO as well :D

As long as they don't have all your details there isn't much else they can do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Technically they could send debt collectors round, but they won't be ones with any kind of authority. So you can tell them to FO as well.

Good to know cheers. I think they just pray on the weak willed but anyone willing to hold the fort is not worth the time to them since they'd end up losing money chasing them.

Man of Honour
Technically they could send debt collectors round eventually, but they won't be ones with any kind of authority. So you can tell them to FO as well :D

As long as they don't have all your details there isn't much else they can do.

This is terrible advice - they do have your details and since the law changed the keeper is liable and a recent court case sadly went in favour of these firms.

Get advice but don't just ignore them.

Soldato
What's the deal with these guys these days?

We registered the car with the reception of the company that own the car park at the time. Just found some letters sent to us from Parking Eye to our old address though.

Should we engage with them or just ignore them?

Soldato
What's the deal with these guys these days?

We registered the car with the reception of the company that own the car park at the time. Just found some letters sent to us from Parking Eye to our old address though.

Should we engage with them or just ignore them?

Contact the company and have them get it cancelled.

Soldato
I'll have to double check, but I think January.
You need to check if it's a PoFA-compliant notice, or a non-PoFA one (the date of the alleged infringement and date of the PCN will have a bearing on this) and this will determine your next steps.

If it's non-PoFA, provided you do not inform them who was driving, and you have absolutely no obligation to do so, then you can effectively ignore things until it comes to going to court, which COULD happen any time within the next 6 years. They may choose to proceed no further, but ParkingEye are known for being litigious. They lose the vast majority of their cases, but rely primarily on scaring people into paying before it comes to going to court.

Soldato
We all know who Parking Eye is dont we, Scumbags who rip off drivers by lying in wait and slapping on tickets while you are going to the "pay and display" machine, that sort of thing.

Well, not always...

A friend of mine recently parked in the local Liddles. They have a system where you have to scan your receipt and enter your reg no.

It was the first time she had been and she got flustered when the machine didn't scan her ticket properly and as a consequence she entered her reg no wrong (Transposed two of the numbers)

Initially I suggested that she should write a begging letter but when she went down again to check the T&C's she acknowledged that they did state that a charge would be due if the details were entered incorrectly. Being scrupulously honest and Honourable (Navy Family) she sent off her cheque with a short note on the back pointing out that she had incorrectly entered her reg no.

Well, here's the thing.

The same happened to me a couple of years ago. They initially sent a letter demanding payment and I simply sent them an email then with a copy of the parking ticket receipt. The receipt showed I had entered the registration number incorrectly (transposed the first two letters) and they waived the parking charge.

Soldato

Well, not always...

Well, here's the thing.

The same happened to me a couple of years ago. They initially sent a letter demanding payment and I simply sent them an email then with a copy of the parking ticket receipt. The receipt showed I had entered the registration number incorrectly (transposed the first two letters) and they waived the parking charge.

Soldato
You need to check if it's a PoFA-compliant notice, or a non-PoFA one (the date of the alleged infringement and date of the PCN will have a bearing on this) and this will determine your next steps.

If it's non-PoFA, provided you do not inform them who was driving, and you have absolutely no obligation to do so, then you can effectively ignore things until it comes to going to court, which COULD happen any time within the next 6 years. They may choose to proceed no further, but ParkingEye are known for being litigious. They lose the vast majority of their cases, but rely primarily on scaring people into paying before it comes to going to court.

Okay I checked the paperwork.

Letter 1 dated 23/1/19
Date of event is 14/1/19, date of issue says 23/1/19.
Fine of £100 to be paid by 20/2/19 or £60 if paid by 6/2/19

This was sent to an old address though, so was never received.

Letter 2 dated 1/2/19
Reminder letter with same info

Letter 3 dated 26/2/19
Saying fine is still £100 and includes info about a court case precedent.

Kf2dEpz.jpg

Letter 4 dated 20/3/10 finally our correct address, as they apparently got it from a credit reference agency.
However in this letter they've dropped to amount back down to £60 and said if we ignore it it may go to court and debt recovery.

The annoying thing is this is all in a hotel car park with a Starbucks attached, and Starbucks have this machine inside where you type in your reg to register your car, but you don't get a receipt or anything. It's like when you check in at a GP surgery.

We just called the manager and he said to pop in with the letters, so I'm going to drive over with the notices and see if Starbucks can do something about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The first letter will be a PoFA-compliant one as it was issued within 14 days of the infringement, which is one of the many hurdles that have to be crossed in order for the PPC to rely on Pofa sch. 4 and hold the RK liable.

See if Starbucks can get it cancelled is the first step, but if not then head over to the FightBack Forums (www.pepipoo.com), and ask for advice there. MoneySavingExpert forums are also a good source for advice.

Soldato
So just been into the Starbucks attached to the hotel and the guys were super cool, they said people forget to type their reg in, or put the wrong reg in all the time.

They said they have people coming in with tickets pretty much every day and they contact ParkingEye to sort it out directly.

Given them copies of the tickets so hopefully all will be sorted soon...phew...

:)

Soldato
So just been into the Starbucks attached to the hotel and the guys were super cool, they said people forget to type their reg in, or put the wrong reg in all the time.

They said they have people coming in with tickets pretty much every day and they contact ParkingEye to sort it out directly.

Given them copies of the tickets so hopefully all will be sorted soon...phew...

:)
Good luck

Soldato
Still no resolution. The management at Starbucks have submitted the ticket references to cancel the tickets a couple of times and it's not been actioned.

Seems I'm not the only one, they're submitting about 5 letters a day on behalf of customers to get them revoked.

I'm getting a lot of complimentary coffee for all my trips to Starbucks though :)

Soldato
Which idiot lost that court case that all these parking companies now quote to say they can charge what they like?

All these parking companies seem to stick it on their paperwork as well to rub your nose in it.

Surely they would save money having a system that scans you in via reg and then when you go to pay and you then have to enter your reg to pay the correct amount when leaving? Or go back to the old ticket system never had a problem with those.

Back
Top Bottom