Parking large vans in residential street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Recently, a white, fairly scruffy Renault Master van has been parked outside in my street. I think it belongs to my neighbour, or rather, it's been given to him as a work vehicle, so I don't think he owns it. But anyway, the point is, there's limited space outside, made even less by the council putting a few feet of double yellow lines from the nearest side street. This van is the length of two big cars. I've no doubt there's nothing illegal about it, but it's a PITA considering it uses up space that two other people could use. What would any of you do, if anything?

If it's not the neighbour's, then I believe it will belong to a company a few doors up from me, in which case, unless the driver lives here, they're obviously just parking it up overnight which would be very annoying.

Soldato
Depends on the relationship you have with your neighbours. Perhaps speak to him and ask about it, he may be aware its a pain, but what can he do about it, if thats the only space he can park then its tough!

Where I used to live we all had an informal unspoken agreement on parking spaces which worked out well for everyone.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the relationship you have with your neighbours. Perhaps speak to him and ask about it, he may be aware its a pain, but what can he do about it, if thats the only space he can park then its tough!

Where I used to live we all had an informal unspoken agreement on parking spaces which worked out well for everyone.

I've already had strong words with him face to face about his continually barking dog, ending up with us both saying 'fu' to each other. (He's bigger than me too :p) Since then the dog has been a fair bit quieter. So no, I don't have a good relationship with him. He's also got an old VW polo taking up yet more space. So he's taking up 3 potential parking spaces in my vicinity.

Soldato
OP
check the covenants, no large vans are allowed where I live

I've been doing some checking on google, and it seems unless a vehicle is 7.5 tons, it can be parked residentially. I think his is 3.5 tons. I'm going to contact the council anyway and explain that it seems unreasonable, if not illegal, for this van to take up so much valuable parking space, not to mention it's an eyesore. No doubt the council will take the obligatory couldn't care less "I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it" stance.

Soldato
I'm going to contact the council anyway and explain that it seems unreasonable, if not illegal, for this van to take up so much valuable parking space, not to mention it's an eyesore. No doubt the council will take the obligatory couldn't care less "I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it" stance.

Good luck with that.

Whose valuable parking space is it taking up?

Soldato
OP
Good luck with that.

Whose valuable parking space is it taking up?

Other people who live in the street that don't have their own driveway, have only one car, and who would also like to be able to park in the two and a bit cars length of roadside parking space that some POS commercial vehicle is taking away from them?

Soldato
Other people who live in the street that don't have their own driveway, have only one car, and who would also like to be able to park in the two and a bit cars length of roadside parking space that some POS commercial vehicle is taking away from them?

Whose fault is it that they bought a house without a parking space and then expect to have one?

I had a house with a drive, so guess what, I could park on the drive.

Your solutions are either to STFU, or when the van moves park in that space, then never use your car again.

Permabanned

Wait till the van moves and then just park there? Unless you own the space, its blocking a drive or its untaxed I dont see how your going to get it moved.

I dont believe your upset about a vehicle that sounds like it has every legal right to be parked on the road :confused:

Permabanned
Oh look, my problem solved from one sentence full of wisdom. Deal with it.. yes, why didn't I think of that. Thanks!

I have no idea, I am struggling to see what your problem actually is.

You could try parking defensively or colluding with a neighbour to park just far enough a park to effectively take up 4 parking spaces with 2 cars.

or just burn the van out

Soldato
OP
Whose fault is it that they bought a house without a parking space and then expect to have one?

I had a house with a drive, so guess what, I could park on the drive.

Your solutions are either to STFU, or when the van moves park in that space, then never use your car again.

Is there really any need to talk like that? Are you so neanderthal that it's beyond your capacity to just empathise without being insulting? I'm entitled to air some annoyance at the situation. I don't expect anything to change and I already said I'm aware it's not illegal. This road is a mix of houses with and without driveways. You had a house with a drive, good for you. *golfclap*.The house I own doesn't have a drive, so I park along the road. When someone has two of his vehicles parked up along the roadside, one of which is so big it reduces the available parking by two and half cars, is ugly and does nothing but reduce the tone of the area, why should I STFU as you so politely put it?

Tea Drinker
Don
I sympathise, my neighbour started parking this massive twin axle high top lwb refrigerated thing outside our house, we have no problem with parking so it didn't matter but my wife couldn't see out properlyto get out the drive and was taking a blind risk every day.

I had a word about it not being 'appropriate' for the street and its never been back

Permabanned
Is there really any need to talk like that? Are you so neanderthal that it's beyond your capacity to just empathise without being insulting? I'm entitled to air some annoyance at the situation. I don't expect anything to change and I already said I'm aware it's not illegal. This road is a mix of houses with and without driveways. You had a house with a drive, good for you. *golfclap*.The house I own doesn't have a drive, so I park along the road. When someone has two of his vehicles parked up along the roadside, one of which is so big it reduces the available parking by two and half cars, is ugly and does nothing but reduce the tone of the area, why should I STFU as you so politely put it?

Your calling this guy a Neanderthal? Your the one who was ****** and blind with your neighbour over a dog. LOL.

Soldato
OP
Your calling this guy a Neanderthal? Your the one who was ****** and blind with your neighbour over a dog. LOL.

'You're' FYI.

So saying 'fu' once to each other is ****** and blinding? Lol, ok. Exaggerate much? Oh yeah, iirc, you're the one who was calling everyone in this forum a ***** for advising someone to bin a parking ticket whilst you took it so seriously you thought he should pay. A parking ticket for something petty. Didn't you just tell me not to worry about petty things? Thought so...

Soldato

All I hear is waahh wahhh I can't park infront of my house. How can I screw my neighbour over by running to the council or someone without even talking to him first. Then he will really hate my guts and be less inclined to do me a favour in future.

He might only have it for a few weeks while he covers someone on holiday at work or something.

Put it this way, what solution do you want which is amicable for both parties, where do you suggest he parks his van, if it is for work then I doubt he has much choice in weather he drives it or not.

Soldato
OP
All I hear is waahh wahhh I can't park infront of my house. How can I screw my neighbour over by running to the council or someone without even talking to him first. Then he will really hate my guts and be less inclined to do me a favour in future.

He might only have it for a few weeks while he covers someone on holiday at work or something.

Put it this way, what solution do you want which is amicable for both parties, where do you suggest he parks his van, if it is for work then I doubt he has much choice in weather he drives it or not.

Grow up. I don't make regular threads moaning about things like this, so a whiff of it and you somehow think I'm throwing my toys out of the pram. I made a thread which is pretty much just a rant, but any helpful suggestions would not go amiss, preferably without the aggressive undertones. The van has been there for quite some time, it's not temporary. If you're going to give advice, try to keep it pleasant and civil instead of talking down to me. Frankly, you haven't suggested anything worthwhile anyway, you're basically just saying suck it up. Talking to the neighbour is pointless and after our last discussion, I doubt he could care less about any other complaints.

Gav

Gav

Associate
if his van is taxed, insured and mot'd ... he has as much right to park in the street as anyone else...

I would suggest internet dating.... it's a good way to get yourself out there... and it will take your mind off such trivial matters

Associate
Well I use to live on a street with 13 houses, 8 of which were student houses, all houses had at least 2 cars, so we had 25-26 cars trying to park in 8 parking bays as the street was a bus route, the rule was first come first served.

One woman tried to insist that the spot outside her house was her private parking spot! I took a hitop tranny home and left it there overnight, she soon changed her attitude after ringing police and council, and both of them saying there's nothing they can do as it was less than 7.5ton and also smaller than a certain size.

I suggest you either try and get the parking spot first or just don't worry about it. If it's a works van, and he needs it for work then he needs it. Also the fact he's got a second car aswell is irrelavent, so long as its legal. If not then a call to the police might be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom