Parking Ticket

Soldato
Got one today from the council, the thing is you are allowed to park there for 1 hour, I think I was less than 1 hour so i'm thinking of appealing it. So what would happen if I did that? Do I have to prove I wasn't longer than an hour or do they have to prove I was? Has anyone had any success in appealing such a thing?

Man of Honour
They won't have ticketed you unless you've been there for over an hour.

Dispute it anyway just to annoy them, council parking attendants annoy me like mad :p

Soldato
OP
Thing is if I pay in 14 days and don't dispute it then it is £30, otherwise it is £60.

I really think it wasn't there over an hour but i'm probably going to give in and pay the £30 for the sake of an easy life. I just hate injustice (goddamit).

Associate
davestar_delux said:
I think I was less than 1 hour

You don't sound sure, so I would just pay. If you know for certain that you were there for less than an hour, then start thinking about what you were doing just before and after you parked and seek evidence to support it.

Again - if you're not sure, I wouldn't even think £30 (then possibly £60) is worth messing about with.

Blasted gits though :mad:

Soldato
I reported a ticket officer for this last year...( assuming you WERE there for under an hour of course ) i was parked in a pay car park and walked down the road to pay a cheque in the bank.... as im walking down the street ( slowly i wasnt in a hurry ) a car parks in a marked space where its the usual 1 hour max stay and no return within the hour etc etc... no pay machines as its a free parking section for some shops. The guy parks up and walks off over the road.

I goto the bank, pay my cheque in and come out and back up the road... this is about 5 minutes later. I see a parking warden ( a council one ) writing out a parking ticket and he slaps it on the car i just saw parking there 5 minutes before. I walked to where he was and asked him why the guy had got a ticket, to which he replies "hes been here over an hour mate...". Of course i said my piece and asked him why i had seen the guy park there only 5 minutes before. The cocky warden says.... "yeah so what, like anyone is gonna care anyway. "

I ask for his badge number, i could see it anyway, and told him i was reporting him... at the same time the guy returns and a girl i know comes out of the shop over the road where she works and she backs up my story. The warden wasnt having any of it and said "ticket stands.... no one will believe you anyway, everyone tries that old story!" and walks off laughing.

I did report him but god knows what if anything happened.

To sum up.... wardens can and WILL give out tickets they know they shouldnt.. and dont give a rats behind about it.

Last edited:
Associate
There was a tv show a while back, an 'undercover' parking warden thing. He exposed widespread lying when some warden noted the time when they found your car. Sometimes with breathtaking arrogance.

If you really are sure, say you wish to deny the matter. You must make very sure you have your facts and if a 3rd party can backup your version of events about your park or depart times that would be a bonus.

next step would be to ask for all written, electronic and CCTV evidence the council have. You have that right. Do a freedom of information request seeking answers on how many challenges over park/depart times (like yours) have been made against the actual warden, and also the statistical average number for the other wardens in the council. You have the right.

They may well say *** it and drop the matter. Or you may uncover stats that show the warden has an unusually high number of complaints, which would go in your favor.

Don't let them walk over you.

Back
Top Bottom