parking woes - house opposite regularly blocks my drive

Soldato
So i've got this problem:

20120628_173902.jpg

driveway.jpg

what can i do about it?

I've made it obvious to people who park there that im not happy, I've tried nicely worded notes under the windscreen wiper, having a friendly chat - "would you mind parking a bit further up the road please, i cant get off my drive"

I've tried the local council to which i got this response:

"Thank you for your email, I have asked the Civil Enforcement Officers who patrol the streets if there is anything that they can do regarding this situation, but unfortunately as there are no restrictions in the street they are not able to enforce. They did say that you were right in asking the driver as a matter of courtesy not to park there but unfortunately their hands are tied on this matter."

short of moving.. what serious suggestions does anyone have?

Soldato
If they parked on the pavement like the red Peugeot would you be able to get in? Could you ask them to do this? I'm not sure where the law stands regarding parking on pavements though and I guess it is best avoided.

Or widen your entrance gates?

Rgds

Last edited:
This would be a fairly easy practical solution - Just take that right hand side wall back and get some new gates, you wouldn't need much extra room to give you the turning space you need.

yes that would work but why should he as its inconsiderate parking that's causing a problem, if the Op really wanted to get his point across he could do the same to the opposite house?

Man of Honour
Even if they parked more considerately that doesn't mean anyone else who might use the same spot will be far easier to move the wall a bit to make getting in and out easier.

TBH from the photo it doesn't look all that bad we have a similiar situation here and its a little tight but its perfectly possible with a little effort.

Soldato
yes that would work but why should he as its inconsiderate parking that's causing a problem, if the Op really wanted to get his point across he could do the same to the opposite house?

Because it would solve his problem without needing to rely on the sense of other people

Even if you got the 'regulars' to agree not to park there, you'll still end up with ***** visiting and doing the same.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Unless the picture is deceptive, it should be easy enough to get in and out of the drive. Just take a wider angle or mount the kerb.

Soldato
OP
clearly the picture doesn't show the scale very well at all..

the road in which i live is a 1 way street and the entrance to my driveway is indeed very narrow (probably only 4 inches either side of my wing mirrors when i reverse on (which is the only way onto the drive as even with a clear road there isnt the space to drive on)

the two cars we own are a Renault Clio and a Honda Civic... neither of which are huge.

I cant park across my own drive as i was out at work and came home to find the grey car where it was...

I could take down the wall... but i kind of feel like i shouldn't have to, isn't it common courtesy not to park like that, its fairly obvious that its right bloody opposite and there are better places to park less than a cars length in either direction.

turning circle?... seriously?... come try it yourself.

Permabanned
and lol how far apart were these two pictures taken?

Opposite house doesn't have hanging baskets out
your drive is cluttered on one
the road outside your drive has been dug up.
the neighbours in the top right have redesigned the wall etc.

Soldato
OP
Unless the picture is deceptive, it should be easy enough to get in and out of the drive. Just take a wider angle or mount the kerb.

i do mount the curb outside the house opposite and up the road slightly, i then have to reverse onto the drive... the road isnt wide enough and the opening is too narrow to swing in and 'drive' onto it.

The problem is the front right of my car would hit the front left of either car in the picture when i try and get it straight to reverse back on the drive without hitting the right (pictured) gate post.

its deceptive obviously

Soldato
yes your right but he should not have to
its a shame some people don't care how awkward they can make it for others

There are a lot of things in life you shouldn't have to do, but unfortunately we don't live in a utopia so it's often easier to take actions that you can control rather than rely on others

Soldato
OP
and lol how far apart were these two pictures taken?

Opposite house doesn't have hanging baskets out
your drive is cluttered on one
the road outside your drive has been dug up.
the neighbours in the top right have redesigned the wall etc.

3 months - its an ongoing issue, hence my rant.

Soldato
Nothing you can do with this, cars parked there arn't doing anything wrong.

Going to have to take it on the chin and deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom