Part 1 - Utility Room / Play room refurb - Pics

Associate
We've just had a bit of refurb going on, mainly the Kitchen and Utility room. Where adjacent rooms have also been affected due to the removal of a couple of walls and floor tiling.

I've found this forum very helpful so wanted to give something back. Hopefully helping others doing something similar. I've never done one of these posts before but happy to answer any questions. I'm also lacking in the DIY department so with the help of family, trades and places such as this we got there.

I'll post Part 2 - The Kitchen, after I've sorted out the pics.

Utility Room

Other than a little snagging our utility room is now done. We bought our Kitchen from DIY-Kitchens (who we highly recommend) and decided to run through into an adjacent room with the same units to create a utility room.

It became apparent after moving in that the previous owners stopped caring for their home at some point. The décor and general state was poor. However they did make some good decisions whilst here where they converted a double garage into a self contained annex bedroom with ensuite (then built a separate double garage)

To make our utility room we need to rob a little space from the bedroom. This was the back door area with the bedroom through the door to the right. That hulking big white box housed the boiler.

Utility-Room-Play-Room-1.jpg

This is the view from within that bedroom. As you can see we had two back doors. To the right is the door into the shower/toilet room.

Utility-Room-Play-Room-2.jpg

We started building the new wall (with my dad)

Utility-Room-Play-Room-3.jpg

Then started to remove the existing wall

Utility-Room-Play-Room-4.jpg

Utility-Room-Play-Room-5.jpg

Removed the door to the ensuite and started to board up and ran some electrical cables for power sockets

Utility-Room-Play-Room-6.jpg

Utility-Room-Play-Room-7.jpg

Got the second back door bricked up and had a window put in.

Utility-Room-Play-Room-8.jpg

Moved the boiler into the loft space above with plumbing added for a sink and the new rad (got a plumber in for this)

Utility-Room-Play-Room-9.jpg

Utility-Room-Play-Room-10.jpg

Boarded ready for plastering.

Utility-Room-Play-Room-11.jpg

This is the view of the threshold between the utility room looking into the kitchen. Some 25mm difference in parts. So the tiler needed to raise the floor.

Utility-Room-Play-Room-12.jpg

Utility-Room-Play-Room-13.jpg

With the flooring done, room plastered, painted, coved and spots put in the units were ready to be fitted. The units in this pic where plonked there to get a feel what it looked like before the fitter turned up. We actually put an integrated washer, dryer and wine cooler there.

gsdgds.jpg

And here's the final pics. As posted above the units came from DIY-Kitchens and the counter tops came from Natural Stone Surfaces. We are very pleased with how it finished.

Utility-Room-Play-Room-14.jpg

Utility-Room-Play-Room-15.jpg

And where we rebuilt the wall, here's the view from the other side. The previous owners used it as a bedroom but we have changed it into a play room.

Doing it from scratch meant we could hide all the power cords and HDMI cables. With access to the loft space above also meant I could put my VIVE base stations on the ceiling.

The door to the left brings you to the utility room and the door to the right takes you into the toilet/shower room. We've left the ensuite incase we ever sell up and want to return it back as a bedroom :)

Utility-Room-Play-Room-16.jpg

Cheers for looking

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, psd99.

The walls are Dulux Diamond Matt Elderflower Tea and the unit doors are Sage when ordered through DIY-Kitchens (but have Grapevine Sage on the labels)

Soldato
Really nice job! A lot of people’s kitchens aren’t as nice as that! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

We’ve just hidden a load of cables and wall mounted a TV. Should probably post some pictures in the hifi forum.

Associate
OP
They are porcelain wood effect. Hard as nails and look the real deal.

We bought because at the time we had a very large dog and thought he’d damage any wood or laminate flooring.

The tiles also have a textured surface so not flat as a normal porcelain tile.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks really good, was a bit of a weird space before, two backdoors? I wonder if underfloor heating would have been an idea in the kitchen and utility, I know my tiled floor in the kitchen is a cold spot.

Associate
OP
Looks really good, was a bit of a weird space before, two backdoors? I wonder if underfloor heating would have been an idea in the kitchen and utility, I know my tiled floor in the kitchen is a cold spot.

We kind of thought about underfloor heating but we also tiled the hallway and two other rooms off of it at the same time. So it kind of started to become a bit of a ball ache to plan particularly with the difference in floor heights between the utility and kitchen.

If I was to do the utility room again I would probably plumb in a plinth heater and loose the rad. No biggie as that rad does get very hot.

Back
Top Bottom