Passively cooling an AMD K6

Associate
I’m currently running an old Gateway 2000 system for my Win98SE retro gaming rig. It’s all based around a Pentium 200MMX, which is passively cooled.

I’ve just picked up an AMD K6-266AFD (it's not a K6-2) which I’m going to swap in for a performance increase. Would I be able to use the same heatsink or will I need to look at a heatsink+fan combination?

Associate
OP
Associate
I think that they were all passively cooled back in the day. I remember cpus that didn't even have heat sinks on them. My friend overclocked his cpu that didn't have a heat sink by leaving the case off and having a room fan roughly point in that direction.

Caporegime
Doubt you will get a performance boost. Anything other than intel of that time period had a very weak floating point unit. My old cyrix 586 was lame too
I think you do the K6 family a disservice, its FPU was massively faster than that in the (quite frankly terrible) Cyrix. In most cases FPU performance was around 90-95% clock for clock of a Pentium MMX (and ALU performance was notably better than Intel), most K6 CPUs ran FASTER clock speeds than the Pentium as development of the Pentium was being phased out in favour of the Pentium II and Slot 1. This brought the need for Super Socket 7 which was spearheaded by AMD and the rest of the consortium of Intel clone manufacturers.

Caporegime
K6-2 and up had 3dnow, it was comparable to SSE on the Pentium III, but had to be specifically coded into the application to see a benefit.

Quake 2 with the patch for example sees around a 40% uplift in software rendering when enabling 3dnow!

Man of Honour
I had a K6-2 back in the day, great chip at the time. I can't remember what clock speed it was though, either 400 or 500 I think. 3DNow ftw.

Back
Top Bottom