Passport renewal: How long

Caporegime
I need to get my passport renewed but I have a lot of travel in the next months. UK GOV websites says it takes 4 weeks but I don't really have 4 weeks between travel dates before the passport expires. Some countries are Schengen so I only need my driving license to fly, but getting into and out of the UK might be difficult, especially as I have at least 1 trip post BREXIT.

I can't get an emergency passport appointment at a British Embassy.

So, does anyone have recent experience? I have one window with 4 weeks, but if anything is delayed then I am at risk of not being able to travel.

Man of Honour
Can't you book an appointment at Newport? I also believe they have a fast track option now, but it does cost you. These things are definitely within the scope of Google.

Capodecina
Soldato
If it is a straightforward renewal, without any changes, you should be able to get it done easily within four weeks - take a digital photo and do it online.

Caporegime
OP
Can't you book an appointment at Newport? I also believe they have a fast track option now, but it does cost you. These things are definitely within the scope of Google.

Fast track passports are only for UK residents, so I have to apply the standard online way.

Caporegime
OP
If it is a straightforward renewal, without any changes, you should be able to get it done easily within four weeks - take a digital photo and do it online.

The process does seem simple but the website says 4 weeks, so I really want to know if it is more like 2 weeks or 4 to 5 weeks. There is no real time info available.

Associate
Did mine just before Christmas using the standard online service. I also used a photo booth with ‘Cloud’ photos.
Sent my old passport off on the Monday on a special delivery service and got my replacement on the following Tuesday.

I think providing all information is correct eg. Just a standard renewal, and that you get your existing passport to them ASAP (because they will not start to process your application until that arrives with them) then a week tops isn’t unrealistic.

Caporegime
I did mine in October through the website.

Sent it away on the 8th special delivery. They had it on the 9th. They aporoved and sent my new one on the 10th. I got my new one on the 11th.

Easy.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I got a renewal last year (standard cost) and it came back within the working week. I did pay for the post office to check the application, for peace of mind.

If you aren't changing your name or any details then I imagine it should be straight forward. Also, it's January so probably a lot less people needing a last minute renewal for their summer holidays :p

Soldato
It's taken anywhere from a week to 5 weeks for me in the past couple of years. For a price, you can get a same-day fast-track service though, if you can get to the main passport office in Victoria.

Soldato
I renewed my daughter's passport in India recently.

According to the DHL tracking number, they sent it back to the UK for processing.

I submitted it on Friday 7th of December, I had it back on the 17th.

Back
Top Bottom