Passport renewal: How long

Caporegime
OP
Thinking generally; presumably you can renew a passport any time, you don't have wait for it to expire?

I believe you can only renew within 6 months of expiration, but that causes issues because you typically require 6 months remaining on your passport to travel

One of my fears is I go to a London conference end of March and due to BREXIT I can't get back home because there wouldn't be enough time on the passport.

Associate
I believe you can only renew within 6 months of expiration, but that causes issues because you typically require 6 months remaining on your passport to travel

One of my fears is I go to a London conference end of March and due to BREXIT I can't get back home because there wouldn't be enough time on the passport.
Around the EU you'll be fine with less than 6 months. I just went to the UK and back to Finland with my passport which expires in a couple of months.

Caporegime
OP
Around the EU you'll be fine with less than 6 months. I just went to the UK and back to Finland with my passport which expires in a couple of months.

IF the UK leaves the EU without any kind of deal in place then in theory one would need over 6 months. In reality I would hope I could be allowed home with my over ID.

Soldato
I renewed my UK passport from the USA last April and it took less than two weeks from mailing the old passport off via USPS to receiving the new one.
This was my experience too.

I filled out my application online and shipped the passport on the 21st March from the US, got a notification on the 29th that my new passport was on the way and received it a couple of days later.

Soldato
This whole six month thing is a bit of a pain in the bottom.

My son's UK passport expires on the 27th of June this year. I was aware of the '6 month validity' rule for most countries and I have checked out the requirements for Dubai and we flew there for Xmas on the 24th of December. So my son was technically within 3 or 4 days of their entry requirements. No problem.

However, I completely forgot about the 6 month rule on our return to India early this year. India has been my home for 5 years now, so I stupidly didn't consider it to be an issue. All four of us are :

-UK Citizens
-Australian Citizens
-US Green card holders
-Indian OCI Holders

We were allowed to board the flight in Dubai, but we got stopped in Mumbai.

Immigration were threatening to return our son to London on the next flight, and we didnt have my son's Australian passport with us to enter him on that.

An epic mind fart of mine to fall into this situation.

The British embassy told us that emergency travel documentation would take 18 hours.

I phoned our neighbour in Ahmedabad who looks after our house while we are away and told him to get my son's Australian passport from our home. And we literally couriered it from Ahmedabad to Mumbai in four hours via a national courier.

That was the point that we were allowed in, however they still entry stamped his UK passport.....strange.

We landed at 1pm, and we finally got through at around 21:30.

A first time for everything, and with this a last time!

Capodecina
Soldato
An Indian Official once told me that the British had given bureaucracy to India and the Indians had perfected it ;)

As to the OP, if you prevaricate long enough, you will end up without a passport; renew it online when you have the month where you don't need it - you will get it back in plenty of time.

Soldato

They add whatever time is left to your old passport so long as its within the 6 month time frame. So for example you could get 10 years and 3 months on your new passport. I know I used to work there.

As for turnaround times this time of year its with in a week to 10 days its fast, or you could go for fast track and its a few days but cost more.

Soldato
They add whatever time is left to your new passport so long as its within the 6 month time frame.
I thought that was revoked

The Government has been accused of short-changing millions of British travellers with an unannounced change to its passport renewal policy.

Until this month a Briton renewing their passport would have had any time left over on their old document, up to a maximum of nine months, added to their new one. Someone whose passport expires on March 1, 2019, for example, would have been able to renew today and still be handed a fresh document valid until March 1, 2029. Now, however, a new passport issued to them today will only be valid until September 13, 2028.

online renewal seems viable for dp ... had just read a few comments here about photo upload system being unreliable, and, rejecting photos,
otherwise the cheapest option
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowT...ine_passport_renewal_form-United_Kingdom.html
have one to renew myself ... there stupid online system won't just tell you the rules, you have to (pretend) to renew, to find out. afaiks

Soldato
Only way I can think of is declare lost.

You will be on PASS anyway so it should be straight forward to get a new one. Doing that gets around the 6 month job.

Not sure have not worked there for 15 years so it might of changed. If you traveling within the EU you only need 3 months everywhere else is 6 months validity.

Back
Top Bottom