1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passport Renewal - Should I Let it Expire?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cadder, 23 May 2021.

1. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

New job, some companies ask for either Passport, driving licence isn't enough.

2. arknor

Caporegime

where did you collect from?
    Royal mail even accept a debit card as ID no??
    aye just checked

3. Efour

Caporegime

I'd. Never let a passport expire. You never know when you will need it. Admittedly spontaneous travel isn't so alluring right now.

4. malachi

Capodecina

It wasn't in the UK so rules might be slightly different also I had to collect it from MyHermes.

Last edited: 25 May 2021
  5. Reuben klang

Hitman

Don't let it expire, just renew it.

It's a pain to start from scratch.

6. pinkpound

Wise Guy

My son got his today quite a difference from his old EU version internals have changed with 3 identity pictures 1 been colour , also I'd say it is more black than blue

7. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

I've been ID'd 3 times in the last 12 months.

Twice by Amazon drivers (alcohol) and once by Iceland (again alcohol).

I'm 42!

8. BUDFORCE

Mobster

I think they have to, I get bottles of bourbon whiskey from Amazon quite often, and they always ask for ID and I'm clearly not 17 lol.

9. Jean-F

Mobster

On the face of it I’d agree with that, but my son, a 30 year resident of Germany and a German citizen for years now, came over for a visit just before we finally left the EU.
    I saw his passport in the spare bedroom, and it said Bundesrublik Deutschland on the front, with Europaische Union on it as well.
    I asked him where his U.K. one was, he said that it had expired some time ago.
    I said that surely he could have renewed it at the U.K. Consulate in Hanover, some 100 km from his Bielefeld home.
    He said that that was where he’d renewed it last time, but Germany wouldn’t recognise dual citizenship with U.K. when U.K. finally came out of the EU, so he didn’t bother.
    I asked if that meant that he was no longer a U.K. citizen, he said that he might be, but didn’t care much really, he could go anywhere in the world with his German passport, including U.K., so what was the big deal?

10. Efour

Caporegime

Ok

11. Cadder

Wise Guy

Update on this:

My passport did end up expiring in May.
    A couple of weeks ago I decided to get my photo taken in a booth in our local Tesco. I had the code sent to me via email and used it in my renewal application.

Renewing the passport was so easy. It was quickly done online. All I had to do was send them my old passport. Sent on 28th July, received new, dark blue passport yesterday, 2nd August. To me that is an impressive turnaround, considering there was a weekend in there.

New passports look good. I had to sign mine, I don't remember doing that for the EU passport.

12. Feek

Commissario

My last one came with my signature pre-printed on it because I’d physically signed the paper application form. Now that it’s all done online, there’s no signature for them to scan and print.

13. Cadder

Wise Guy

You're right. I seem to remember my old one had it printed on.

Something I'm not so sure about is opening the front page to see my mug peeping through a 50p shaped window :eek:

14. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Bring your passport to a main post office along with an email address abd a mobile number and we will renew it for £91.50. Thats the photop and everything. It dosent matter if its expired as long as it was issued after 2004

15. chroniclard

Capodecina

Mines expired , couldn't be bothered renewing this year.

16. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Nope at post office we can do expired ones as well, no different to in date ones

17. Cadder

Wise Guy

It's all sorted now - post #51. I have also updated the first post.

As you mentioned, it was really straightforward and incredibly easy. I didn't get it done in Post Office, just photo from a booth and applied online. They must have processed it all as soon as they received my old passport as I received the new one incredibly quick.

18. potatolord

Wise Guy

I did my son's passport online recently and was amazed how efficient it was.

His online driving licence application is another story altogether...

19. cheesefest

Wise Guy

My passport expired in March. Took 8 days from sending off to getting new passport.

One thing I don’t understand is why on the passport page with your details, there is a tiny photo size of little fingernail with DOB on it?

Let’s hope I can use my passport before Sept 2029 (need 6 months to travel)

20. CREATIVE!11

Soldato

I look absolutely terrible in my new passport photo, I had got out of hospital like a month earlier.

Don't really care though. Mine had already expired and needed to be done.