passport renewal...

Associate
helpimcrap said:
do i need to send anything in for a passport renewal other than 2 photos?

the form is a bit confusing....

You will need to have the form filled in correctly and also someone who can vouch for you and sign one of the passport photos and fill in the counter-signatory on the form. Read the for fully and it should make sense.

Soldato
Judge Mortis said:
You will need to have the form filled in correctly and also someone who can vouch for you and sign one of the passport photos and fill in the counter-signatory on the form. Read the for fully and it should make sense.

I recently renewed my passport and you only need a countersignature if your photo has changed massively, compared to your old photo.

Soldato
OP
Judge Mortis said:

i have read it fully which is the confusing bit.... says countersign everywhere on it but i dont think i have to do it for a renewal.

it also says on section 4 to fill out parents names etc whether yes or no, but in the advice note it says you dont fill out section 4. :confused:

Soldato
helpimcrap said:
i have read it fully which is the confusing bit.... says countersign everywhere on it but i dont think i have to do it for a renewal.

it also says on section 4 to fill out parents names etc whether yes or no, but in the advice note it says you dont fill out section 4. :confused:

If you use the 'check and send' service at your local posty, they will help you fill it in.

Associate
helpimcrap said:

It's some years since I had mine done ..... might be prudent to ring the passport office who are far more clued up than I am.

Permabanned
I got mine renewed earlier this year, only needed the form and some photographs. Regarding the counter-signatures, this is only if your appearance has changed drastically.

When I renewed, the photo in my old passport was from when I was 16. 27 now and wasn't an issue.

They can do it on the same day should you need to but you'll need an appointment and about £90. (I foolishly left mine till the last minute prior to a business trip)

Associate
I do this in work, so am pretty used to seeing a lot of things done wrong. Here goes the incomplete list of what to do when going for a Passport Renewal:

Make sure you put each letter inside each little white box, don't write outside. Same for the signature, go into the brown bit and they won't even waste their time looking at it. For a renewal, you need to send back your old passport (make sure you note the number down on Page 2 and stick a '1' in the 'returned amount' box), and include two new photos. If anything has changed since your old passport, e.g. you got married and the surname has changed, you need to include any relevant documentation. If your appearance has changed (ask a relative stranger, people tend not to notice their own changes) then you need someone to countersign - fill in the back section and sign only ONE of your photos. On the form, you only need to fill in the front section, the info about the returned passport and the back page signature/date.

It gets more complicated if you're not of UK origin, etc, but I'm assuming you are.

Soldato
I remember seeing on the news a while ago that they were changing it so you had to go in person to help prevent fakes- when's that coming in, or is that just for first time passports applications?

Soldato
OP
Monkey Puzzle said:
I remember seeing on the news a while ago that they were changing it so you had to go in person to help prevent fakes- when's that coming in, or is that just for first time passports applications?

first time only on the form... you 'may' need an interview to get a passport.

Associate
Aren't you going to have to get an Identity Card as well in the future when getting a new passport?

If ID cards become compulsory, then yes.

As an employee of IPS, the main focus at the mo is on Authentication by Interview - there is very little talk of ID cards amongst most staff because they are so far off.

Back
Top Bottom