Patio - Deck vs decorative gravel vs flags

Associate
So I'm in a conundrum at what to do with mine

I have a ton of type 1 due to turn up tomorrow to level whats been dug out by about 25mm

The I would like to have it complete by the end of the weekend in terms of being able to use it!

I've gone to the trouble of building a railway sleeper retaining wall which leads me to think the best looking option would be decking boards

The second option being a ton bag of sand and lay down patio flags of some sort

third option being 2 ton bags of decorative gravel to fill a 50mm deep hole in the garden as it is right now!

So thoughts on this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SzPg2Z1hxR2epXiW8

Soldato
Gravel is nice for decoration but I find it's horrid for drives/patio areas.

I prefer decking, but you have to maintain it, once a year usually. wash/scrub/reseal or varnish.

Stone is the easiest option if you don't want to spend time each year redoing it, just a wash and scrub.

Associate
Flags will look the best and probably be the most functional.

Decking is ok but may need more upkeep depending on how much sun it gets. I quite like decking and have it at my place too but mainly because I have kids and it's a little more child friendly.

I'll stay clear of gravel.

Associate
OP
Assumed that would be the general concensus!

I have a ton of Type1 ready to be delivered and a couple of ton of sharp sand ready aswell - just need to decide on some stone flags to go with it now being a few are already down from the builder (almost feel like I should take those up and not try to fit upto them!)

Soldato
Assumed that would be the general concensus!

I have a ton of Type1 ready to be delivered and a couple of ton of sharp sand ready aswell - just need to decide on some stone flags to go with it now being a few are already down from the builder (almost feel like I should take those up and not try to fit upto them!)
Gravel is for decoration not for walking on! Decking is high maintenance and limited life time so as suggested go flags!

Take up the couple the builder has done unless you want and can get hold of the same thing!

Associate
OP
Yep seems to cover off

If I can be bothered as such decking

If I dont want to be bothered then its flags

Just to find some flags that I like vs the decking the other half seems to want / likes

Soldato
For the price of composite decking (especially the stuff that doesn't look plastic), may as well for for stone flags. My decking is rotten so looking at it myself; my mum has tonnes of gravel and it's just.. meh. Gets everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom