PC bombing....can't figure out the cause

Soldato
Hi folks,
recently my rig (see my sig for spec) has been bombing out and rebooting itself. When it does this it usually gets either to just before the windows splash screen or just past before it reboots itself again.

First time it happened was playing BF2, in game it went all juddery like stuck music cd then rebooted.
Since then its been a random bugger. Same symptons but at seemingly randon times.
If i leave it for a while then reboot it seems fine....till the next time.
Things i've done/noted:
1. Temps are all fine for cpu, system AND GPU, even after playing heavy games like BF2 for hours
2. It bombed when i tried to open nvidia control panel......
...which leads me to think its graphics card related.
3. Did a system restore to a week ago, before the problems, all seemed fine, but it started again last night, bombing out and rebooting.
4. After restoring i took an image with acronis, but since the problem is back, not sure if reloading the image will solve anything.

Voltage? to the 9800GS? or dodgy graphics drivers? Although restore should have sorted that.
Any ideas please?

Associate
oh and yes to the question asked.......it is your graphics card causing the problem because u fitted an absolute useless and poorly made PSU to your expensive rig and it has just failed.........buy a good brand name PSU like an OCZ or Enermax some ppl like Antec but whatever floats your boat.....oh and hope that poor excuse or a PSU hasnt caused any permenant damage to 1 or more of your other componants :mad:

Soldato
OP
getcarter said:
oh and yes to the question asked.......it is your graphics card causing the problem because u fitted an absolute useless and poorly made PSU to your expensive rig and it has just failed.........buy a good brand name PSU like an OCZ or Enermax some ppl like Antec but whatever floats your boat.....oh and hope that poor excuse or a PSU hasnt caused any permenant damage to 1 or more of your other componants :mad:

Actually mate, the levicom psu cost me £50 2.5 years ago. Its been brilliant for overclocking my xp2500 to 3.2GHz since day one. Its never been an issue.
Its a quality psu, maybe it is now suffering, i dunno. BUT, the pc bombed in the middle of the night when it was obviously idle.
So, i apreciate your input but your post was a little curt and possibly misdirected.
I don't intentionally buy/install crap kit. I am however waiting to buy a corsair 580w modular from ocuk, which may or may not fix the issue.

Soldato
OP
Cyber Hamster said:
have you checked your ram? could be duff ram. Failing that I would try and test each bit of hardware until u find your suspect

hmmm...its only been built for about 1 month. The ram was an issue at first build, so i tested both sticks. One WAS faulty under Windows Memory test thingy, so i had it replaced and things had been fine since.

Will test them both again though.

I can understand that folk point towards the psu, but surely when idle it shouldnt lose power, especially after i can play BF2 for like 3 hours straight and it not bomb out (only once did it do that, and that was the first and only time it happened)

Just a thought though, i'm using the Gigabyte EasyTune5 to monitor temps/voltages etc, and it has red/yellow flashing hazard sign on the cpu fan and it reads 0, is that correct? Although this has been like that since day one.

Associate
Cyber Hamster said:
have you checked your ram? could be duff ram. Failing that I would try and test each bit of hardware until u find your suspect

RAM doesn't 99.99% of the time fail like that, it shows bad checksum in boot up and if you keep rebooting it will jump in after a few try's until it really does fail.

Associate
k.Jacko said:
hmmm...its only been built for about 1 month. The ram was an issue at first build, so i tested both sticks. One WAS faulty under Windows Memory test thingy, so i had it replaced and things had been fine since.

Will test them both again though.

I can understand that folk point towards the psu, but surely when idle it shouldnt lose power, especially after i can play BF2 for like 3 hours straight and it not bomb out (only once did it do that, and that was the first and only time it happened)

Just a thought though, i'm using the Gigabyte EasyTune5 to monitor temps/voltages etc, and it has red/yellow flashing hazard sign on the cpu fan and it reads 0, is that correct? Although this has been like that since day one.

Over time the PSU will loose the ability to supply its rated amount this will show up when under load. Getting your e-mails will not put the PC under much if any load though.

IF you think it is the CPU temps then you should fire up BF2 play for 30mins exit out asap go into BOIS and look at temps.

If you think its the graphics drivers uninstall the current ones, delete the nvidia folder (or use the nvidia unintall Detonator Destroyer etc) make sure the grpahics card installs itself as a default graphics on XYZ monitor before reinstalling it with a fresh driver DL.

Associate
k.Jacko said:

Some of the fans do not have a signal line so the BIOS cannot read the RPM what are the actual temps? Other than that reseat the cpu and heatsink with a fresh squeeze of Artic Silver.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Eiromancer said:
Over time the PSU will loose the ability to supply its rated amount this will show up when under load. Getting your e-mails will not put the PC under much if any load though.

IF you think it is the CPU temps then you should fire up BF2 play for 30mins exit out asap go into BOIS and look at temps.
Done that after 3 hours of gaming AND when it bombed, temps are all good and low on cpu, system and gpu.

Eiromancer said:
If you think its the graphics drivers uninstall the current ones, delete the nvidia folder (or use the nvidia unintall Detonator Destroyer etc) make sure the grpahics card installs itself as a default graphics on XYZ monitor before reinstalling it with a fresh driver DL.
Really not sure if its soft or hardware. I did sys restore to over a week ago well before these problems and the problem is still here, which kinda points towards hardware.
i do have a 550w brand new psu, which although unbranded gets used in SLi configs at the shop i use. Maybe worth a try until i get my Corsair psu.

Back
Top Bottom