PC Build Help - (Budget for office work only)

Associate
We'd like to build a PC for general office use (only need the PC build itself -the case and everything inside.
We already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables and a copy of windows 10.

This new build is for my partner and will be used for work ONLY (no gaming).

This will be used for Emails, Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) and a little bit of Adobe Photoshop/InDesign.

I would like the PC to be reliable and last long term. Could someone kindly help by putting together a build?

I would have thought this should cost anywhere between £300-£400 since we are building this ourselves.

Or would it be better to buy one pre-made since you can pick up office PCs so cheap nowadays?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for the above build @orbitalwalsh
So you personally think it would be better to build ourselves, rather than buy a prebuild?
You can get pre-builds without all the extras(monitors,keyboard,mouse, windows etc.) so you can get them pretty damn cheap!
However, that raises the question... am i going to be settling for much lower standard parts if we was to purchase a prebuild...

What is yours and others thoughts about this?

Any other custom builds (linked as above) would be appreciated!

Soldato
Thank you for the above build @orbitalwalsh
So you personally think it would be better to build ourselves, rather than buy a prebuild?
You can get pre-builds without all the extras(monitors,keyboard,mouse, windows etc.) so you can get them pretty damn cheap!
However, that raises the question... am i going to be settling for much lower standard parts if we was to purchase a prebuild...

What is yours and others thoughts about this?

Any other custom builds (linked as above) would be appreciated!

depends, sometimes you dont get as nicer parts but the some of he deal is better . Was trying to look at NUC intel small boxes but a bit costly . zotac Mini and Gigabyte Brix boxes are nice and small but might cost a bit more .

stick to ryzen 2400g or intel 8100 if going pre-built . or older intel i5's .

lot of people pick up cheap dell refurb units. some can ship with older i7's with 16gb of ram and windows on there

Man of Honour

Man of Honour
I would have thought this should cost anywhere between £300-£400 since we are building this ourselves.

Or would it be better to buy one pre-made since you can pick up office PCs so cheap nowadays?
honestly, i'd probably suggest getting a preowned business machine. something with a i7 4770/4790 should set you back £200ish quid on the bay (with a 240gb ssd included).
then chuck in a cheap and cheerful gpu (such as a gt 1030) and you've got yourself a decent office machine.

Soldato
Already mentioned but a Dell or HP Desktop will work fine and can be had for little money on Ebay or via refurb sites. I'm typing on a HP ProDesk SFF right now!

I'm in an office full of them currently and have installed them for many years in classrooms.

If you want something a bit more special then yeah an Intel NUC or Zotac Zbox are neat little systems which I've owned both of for light duties apart from gaming on my main system.

Back
Top Bottom