PC Building Advice Integrated Graphics Motherboard

Associate
Hi all, I am a little confused by onboard graphics on a motherboard and CPU. I thought if the motherboard supported onboard graphics then I should be able to use it to do basic tasks and even possibly run odd games, is this not true? For example, the Gigabyte https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-593-gi.html has onboard graphics. Does this simply mean it has outputs of HDMI and Display Port but I still need a graphics card or a CPU with integrated graphics?

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but just confused what integrated graphics mean on a motherboard.

Associate
Hi all, I am a little confused by onboard graphics on a motherboard and CPU. I thought if the motherboard supported onboard graphics then I should be able to use it to do basic tasks and even possibly run odd games, is this not true? For example, the Gigabyte https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-593-gi.html has onboard graphics. Does this simply mean it has outputs of HDMI and Display Port but I still need a graphics card or a CPU with integrated graphics?
That is more or less precisely what it's means.
The motherboard spec sheets tend be quite clear on this:
Onboard Graphics Integrated in the 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics processors: 1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 5120x2880@60 Hz * Support for DisplayPort 1.4 version, HDCP 2.3, and HDR. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60 Hz * Support for HDMI 2.1 version, HDCP 2.3, and HDR. Maximum shared memory of 16 GB
Although in Gigabyte's case, I think I have seen far clearer than that.
Anyway the important point to remember is that for least the last decade, no (standard*) motherboard has come with onboard graphics, rather they have come with the ability to output graphics when the installed CPU has integrated graphics.
AMD call their CPUs which have integrated graphics APUs, while Intel just stick with three name CPU.
Integrating graphics has only ever been found on consumer desktop and mobile processors, not workstation/HEDT and servers processors (although some server motherboards might incorporate something like an Matrox card just for display).
Especially in the case of AMD AM4 boards, when not using APUs the graphic outputs just sit there.
(* Some server motherboards come with an old Matrox graphic card onboard just so they can display something on the rate occasions when they might be hooked up to a monitor.)

Soldato
Onboard graphics now only referes to a cpu with an inbuild gpu unlike in the old days when some chipsets on mothervboards had in-built graphics.

You also hav eto be caseful as the b550 boards have display port etc but dont support the 3 series ryzen with onboard gpu. *Not compatible with AMD Ryzen™ 5 3400G and Ryzen™ 3 3200G*

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the quick response. It's been about 15 years since I built a machine and wanted to get all my facts right before purchasing. Your replies have been very informative. I didn't realize some B550 boards didn't support the new AMD G chipset. Need to check this then. Everything is a lot more complicated now compared to years ago. This is going back the days when Hercules made graphics cards!

Soldato
Thank you all for the quick response. It's been about 15 years since I built a machine and wanted to get all my facts right before purchasing. Your replies have been very informative. I didn't realize some B550 boards didn't support the new AMD G chipset.
APUs aren't actually newer, but come architecturally half+ year behind Ryzen CPUs.
That's why Zen3 Ryzens were named 5xxx instead of 4xxx immediately after Zen2 Ryzen 3xxx.
Zen2 architecture APUs had already been named as 4xxx models and naming needed clearing up that mess.

As for gaming with integrated GPU, AMD definitely has stronger iGPU than Intel.
But availability of APUs at retail/consumer sale is just limited and Zen3 APUs have been released only recently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_3#Desktop_APUs

Man of Honour

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but just confused what integrated graphics mean on a motherboard.
IF you have a CPU with integrated graphics then desktop stuff is no problem, but games it's another story. You'd have to check that carefully. The newer IGPs/APUs are around GT 1030 performance, the older Intel IGP in 10th gen Intel or older is just terrible in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom