PC Freeze, have to hard reset

Soldato
Ive swapped a case on a pc for g/f son. and changed the GPU, i cleared out some malware and some fake antirvirus software, put a copy of my licensed malware bytes on. Ive set it downloading arma3 on steam, but came back to it had frozen comepletely, cant move mouse and CTRL ALT DEL does nothing, nor caps lock lights.

anyway to diagnose without swapping everything? the GPU is good as i used to use it. and as far as i know is everything else. using stock cooler, but temps are ok

Associate
Superposition unigine for the gpu and memtest 86 are free. You can use windows own memory check too. Start windows. Type mdsched.exe and select windows memory diagnostic.you can set it to restart your pc and run straight away or the 2nd option that checks when you next reboot

Associate
Computers are funny things, sometimes just replugging in a component just seems to fix things even if there was nothing wrong with it's placement before. Just like the wonderfulness of trying 3 times to plug in a USB connection

Man of Honour
been sat now for 40mins without crashing, I will reseat though.

are there any free tests that will stress/bench the CPU RAM and GPU?
Yes but to narrow it down you need to stress each component individually.

Memtest for the ram , prime 95 cpu, furmark gpu but there are loads , Google it.

Associate
you can do all testing as above but tbh if was just the once i wouldnt worry too much bout it. IS the pc being taken away or you still have access to it?

i would deffo do drivers first if it happens again though, properly. use proper removal tool, install fresh ones in safe mode.

Soldato
OP
Superposition unigine for the gpu and memtest 86 are free. You can use windows own memory check too. Start windows. Type mdsched.exe and select windows memory diagnostic.you can set it to restart your pc and run straight away or the 2nd option that checks when you next reboot

its halfway through the memory check and found hardware issues. so looks like RAM is not happy.

Soldato
OP
i just remembered i changed the XMP profile to 3200 and it was off before. does that sometimes cause issues? i have swapped the RAM for 16gb Crucial Ballistix RGM Ram, and checks gone through ok at 3000mhz, i think he would prefer the flashy lights anyway. I'm running the memory test on my spare pc with the patriot ram and will also do that memtest86...

.... typing this live as testing is running and the patriot is testing on mine ok with no XMP profile. so im wondering if this was the issue. its the only change i did that i forgot to mention earlier

Associate
If it failed at stock without xmp it's safe to say the ram is the issue. Xmp rarely is an issue on modern boards.
Unless your motherboard has crazy voltage settings for the ram.

Soldato
OP
If it failed at stock without xmp it's safe to say the ram is the issue. Xmp rarely is an issue on modern boards.
Unless your motherboard has crazy voltage settings for the ram.

yep crashed on stock settings on my PC, its under OCUK warranty so can get sorted easily and i took a photo of the failed memory test, and can refer to this forum entry

Associate
If' you're comfortable with the bios have a look at your Dram voltage and Vccio and Vccsa and take a note of their values too. It's not unheard of, but it's rare that ram ships dead. But glad you found the issue quick

Back
Top Bottom