• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
Digital Shilleries, employed by Nvidia, call a rival product a sleazy release *shocker*
Even AMD don't think it's any good.

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/game-beyond-4gb/ba-p/414776

AMD is leading the industry at providing gamers with high VRAM graphics solutions across the entire product offering. Competitive products at a similar entry level price-point are offering up to a maximum of 4GB of VRAM, which is evidently not enough for todays games. Go Beyond 4GB of Video Memory to Crank Up your settings. Play on RadeonTM RX Series GPUs with 6GB or 8GB of VRAM and enjoy gaming at Max settings

Permabanned
Same argument they would make for the FX AMD CPU's back when.. even though they launched at the same cost as an intel i7. Because the price was dropped people said oh it's a good product.

I always maintained that the FX series are absolute trash, worse IPC than previous gen and consumes nuclear reactor levels of power. LOL

Soldato
More I think about it the more I think the 6500xt is just the kind of product the market needs. There's been no competition at the 1050ti / 1650 level of the market for too long, and for pure gaming it does the job. It beats the 1650 in most scenarios while being cheaper (currently). Due to its limitations and apparently being specifically designed to be produced cheaply in large quantities it actually might stay at that price too.

Sure it's no good for streaming or mining or high quality textures etc, and at pcie 3.0 its value proposition is weaker, but for budget gaming it does the job, and just the fact it exists might push prices of other products down.

If I was building a budget gaming PC at the moment and wasn't interested in streaming or anything, then I'd certainly be considering something like an i3 12100 paired with a 6500xt. Seems to be the best bang for the buck in this price category to me.

If you want something that performs better than the 6500xt then I guess the next product up is the 1660. Only problem is that's another £150, so not really comparable.

The rtx 3050 might well blow it out of the water, but I'm just pretty sceptical that rtx 3050 pricing will be anywhere near 6500xt pricing.

It is obviously terrible value going by the standards of a couple of years ago, but in the current market it competes well imo.

Soldato
Sure it's no good for streaming or mining or high quality textures etc, and at pcie 3.0 its value proposition is weaker, but for budget gaming it does the job, and just the fact it exists might push prices of other products down..
Card is overpriced even at 200 odd, 3060Ti (for those who got one at MSRP or close to) is a much better card for less than 2x the cost. Usually quite a lot over 2x more performance as well, and that's at just 1080p.

Waste of time but at least you can buy one to game on, maybe that's the point of it.

Soldato
Card is overpriced even at 200 odd, 3060Ti (for those who got one at MSRP or close to) is a much better card for less than 2x the cost. Usually quite a lot over 2x more performance as well, and that's at just 1080p.

Waste of time but at least you can buy one to game on, maybe that's the point of it.
3060Ti might well be a much better card, but at current prices it's more like 3x the cost. It's just a completely different price category and not really comparable imo.

I think that's the key point - at least you can buy it, and the price point is a lot more accessible than the higher tier ones.

Associate
The card is overpriced at £180 to £230, however if someone is considering a budget build with a £200ish card, is it really helpful to say that is they increased their budget by 100%, that is doubled it, they would get more than double the performance?

Soldato
The Sapphire 6500XT currently reduced to just under £200 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39s-sp.html

Not many recent card releases have had a 10% reduction within the first week :p.

Hope it stays at that sort of price, in the current market I think that's a competitive price for a budget gaming build.

I would love to know what's going through the mind of anyone ordering the ~£330 ones though :eek:. Would be interesting to know if even one has sold.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ex-gi.html

Associate
The Sapphire 6500XT currently reduced to just under £200 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39s-sp.html

Not many recent card releases have had a 10% reduction within the first week :p.

Hope it stays at that sort of price, in the current market I think that's a competitive price for a budget gaming build.

I would love to know what's going through the mind of anyone ordering the ~£330 ones though :eek:. Would be interesting to know if even one has sold.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ex-gi.html
That card is 282mm long, so it most be for those who have to have the longest card?

The cooler may be slightly longer than the PCB:
uBymwgW.png

Soldato
That card is 282mm long, so it most be for those who have to have the longest card?

uBymwgW.png
That cooler is just ridiculous :cry:. 85W card with three fans and a cooler the same size as a 350W rtx 3080ti fe!

Yeah must just be a case of wanting the pc case to look full :p.

Soldato

uBymwgW.png

How else you gonna justify such a crazy price.

Take £180 card, add £40 cooler with a 300% margin on cooler. £300 card.

edit: It's also an OC card. Add £29 for that and you get a £329 card.

Soldato
What I don't get right is that £180 was limited numbers sold at a loss supported by AMD. Then it moved to the "proper" price of £225. Now it has dropped loads, so what happened to the "proper" price? Is it loss making again?

Caporegime
What I don't get right is that £180 was limited numbers sold at a loss supported by AMD. Then it moved to the "proper" price of £225. Now it has dropped loads, so what happened to the "proper" price? Is it loss making again?

Basically, someone somewhere along the line has thought they could make more profit/take advantage of the silly GPU market, but has miscalculated demand for this card.

Soldato
Basically, someone somewhere along the line has thought they could make more profit/take advantage of the silly GPU market, but has miscalculated demand for this card.

Yep just reveals that at least £25 was extra margin. For a £180 product that is quite a lot.

edit: Also noticed it is in stock at £180 elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom