PC Gaming in Man Cave: TV or Large Monitor? Options? Help!

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm at a loss as to what to buy at the moment, and with Black Friday coming up I'm trying to figure out ahead of time what I'm looking for.

Basically I have a Man Cave in the house as shown above. I have a HTC VIVE VR setup and a powerful gaming PC (1080TI, 4.5GHZ, 16GB Ram etc) which I bought from OCUK during the summer. It has really gotten me back in to PC Gaming for the first time in over a decade, so I am a bit uneducated on a lot for the latest technoligies, trends, or best options. The missing piece is the TV/Monitor to play normal flatscreen games on. I Find I play a lot of PUBG and Squad some times. The TV I have is a 44 inch 1080P TV that is quite old now. It has constant static type lines that run up the screen, and in general is not quite clear. It also I imagine has terrible input lag. What to replace it with is proving hard to figure out though.

I sit a reasonable few feet back from the TV when playing, on a beanbag with a small fold out table for mouse and keyboard. So a 27" monitor or the likes doesn't seem like the best option. I also watch some sports, youtube etc on the TV from time to time.

Is a 4K TV a good shout for me considering the value (if I want something 40" ish again), or will my gaming suffer over a monitor due to input lag and only 60Hz (how significant are these)? 1440P monitors sound like a good option, but I'm finding it very hard to find one that kind of size for any sort of reasonable money. Also seem to be a lot of ultrawides in that sort of bracket which wouldn't really work for me I'm guessing (due to sitting a bit away). Is 1080P a better shout, but will any TV give me 1080P at high Hz, or again is a monitor better. Can a large 1080P monitor be bought?

I probably would like to spend 300-600 pounds, obviously the less the better. Please help me in figuring out what the hell I want ha!

Caporegime
Tbh with sitting a fair bit away I think a TV with low input lag is gonna be your best option. The likes of Samsung etc produce some nice low input lag TV's nowadays (like the UE49MU6400) and well worth it for PC gaming (HDR too, which is a bonus)

Damn, I forgot that was a 4k TV. Is tha an issue? You can always create a custom Ultrawide resolution on it (3840x1600 for instance)

Associate
If I remember correctly, with a HD TV you don't want to be more than about about 1.5~2 times the screen size away or you won't be seeing all that resolution at it's best. So for a 40 inch screen at 1080p that's about 6.5 feet ish, which sounds about right for you. With 4K you have to be a lot closer. So personally I don't think there is much point in you going for 4K, especially considering how much computing power is needed to drive 4K. I would stick with 1080p and get a 40~50 inch screen. If you sit closer then you could consider a 34" ultra wide which are great for games but I would still stick with the lower resolution of 2560x1080. Bear in mind though that ultra wide for some odd reason look a lot smaller than they are.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the feedback. Yes I think a TV with low input lag is the way to go. I'm probably not sitting as far away as you think though. Like 4-5 feet maybe? Obviously can move the beanbag closer or further away lol!

Back
Top Bottom