PC Half fixed - Whats my legal position?.

Soldato
If it's ASUS that you contacted first and they sub-contracted to this place, why not complain to ASUS?

How many years old is this laptop from when you bought it?

Soldato
OP
Did you buy the laptop from Ocuk? I know it's not a warranty thing, but you seem to have been messed around and they might be able to help - contacts and all that. tag 5ub or gibbo on these forums and they might be able to help.

LOL Oh no, not from OCUK. A competitor, and no I am NOT going to say who.

But its NOT OC, so no worries there.

Soldato
OP
If it's ASUS that you contacted first and they sub-contracted to this place, why not complain to ASUS?

How many years old is this laptop from when you bought it?

I got it brand new.
And yes, I could complain to ASUS, but I am going through trading standards and I will see what they say.

I have, for the moment, emailed LetMeRepair, and told them that I am disapointed with wwhat they have just done, in asking for more and kind of in al almost blackmail of having to pay even more or not having my money back, but I will seek legal advise first.

I could have course contact ASUS but when I did try contacting them before, they just kept telling me to contact the repair team.

--

Actually, I have already had a bit of a run-in with these morons a few weeks ago.
I had not heard from them and I was getting a bit concerned and they told me that they had sent out the quote.
I did not get one. They kept saying look in my spam folder etc, but why would every email from them and ASUS get to me and just that one quote go into the spam?
I also had to ask several times for the quote to be re-sent.. Had they sent me one then it should be easy to just resend surely?
Took a further 11 days to actually get a quote after all that!
I should have just cut my losses and ditched the Laptop.
After all, its only my Linux Laptop and not my main one at all!

Man of Honour
Asus are a total joke. Bought a x399 board that was very expensive and that was meant to come with 1) 3 games 2) a bracket for the upright m.2. I chased them for weeks on these things and nope they were an absolute joke. Gave up in the end. Absolute jokers.

Soldato
Thanks for the thread, been considering an Asus X570 motherboard but will be looking for an alternative now.

Companies take note: treating your customers like **** and palming off repairs to the lowest bidder regardless of quality costs you potential buyers (and by extension money).

Caporegime
Took longer than it should to get the cashback from the promotion they were running for a B450 and Ryzen combo, if I hadn't kept chasing them I don't think I would have got paid.

Soldato
Thanks for the thread, been considering an Asus X570 motherboard but will be looking for an alternative now.

Companies take note: treating your customers like **** and palming off repairs to the lowest bidder regardless of quality costs you potential buyers (and by extension money).

Gigabyte are hard to beat in terms of support, UK based RMA and they have an active representative on these forums.

They have some of the best X570's too, the Elite is a fantastic board.

Soldato
I vowed never to buy Asus again about 8 years ago after the TF101 fiasco. It takes a certain level of idiocy to not include a plastic window that allows GPS and WiFi signals through. Plus the I/O was terrible. Never touched the brand since.

Soldato
Gigabyte are hard to beat in terms of support, UK based RMA and they have an active representative on these forums.

They have some of the best X570's too, the Elite is a fantastic board.

I've had issues with Asus before tbh, this thread has just reminded me. The Aorus elite is another I have been looking at, along with seeing pricing etc for the msi tomahawk

Man of Honour
I've had issues with Asus before tbh, this thread has just reminded me. The Aorus elite is another I have been looking at, along with seeing pricing etc for the msi tomahawk
I've been very happy with my last two Gigabyte motherboards including an X570 Aorus Elite

Soldato
And that is?

Dude, you "did something in the BIOS". So what? What did you do? Because if that's all you told the repair shop then you gave them enough rope to rip it out of you. Why oh why did you pay up front? I mean come on. Why post it to a repair shop anyway, that move alone is just increasing the cost of the repair. Was there no-one local you could have took it to?

You also said this...

As has already been mentioned, I actually did this though ASUS themselves and they sub-contracted these bozos to do it for me.

I checked back through the previous posts and I couldn't see where you had provided that info? It's confusing, because if you did it though Asus then surely you would have posted it to them? Is it possible that you contacted Asus and they refused the repair as it's out of warranty, and an Asus Rep Googled a repair shop in what he thought was your area to help you out, and you've now attributed that to organising the repair through Asus?

Soldato
Thanks for posting this. Regardless of this situation, knowing that their approved repair centre is so awful I've struck Asus off my list now.

Soldato
I checked back through the previous posts and I couldn't see where you had provided that info? It's confusing, because if you did it though Asus then surely you would have posted it to them? Is it possible that you contacted Asus and they refused the repair as it's out of warranty, and an Asus Rep Googled a repair shop in what he thought was your area to help you out, and you've now attributed that to organising the repair through Asus?

It seems quite common for tech companies to outsource their hardware repairs (both in and out of warranty) to 3rd party repair centres. Scamsung also do it (at least for their mobile phones), and I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Soldato
My wife had damaged her Huawei 10" tablet, both the up and down volume buttons had been squashed into the side of the case - probably due to being stood upright onto the keys whilst charging.
It had been like this for over a year and she was happy enough with using it like that. But then an automatic update was applied to the tablet which failed to apply correctly.
The solution to resolve this was to power on the tablet whilst holding one of the volume keys, not possible in this case due to the damage. It was completely stuck in a boot loop.
We contacted Huawei who couldn't help us due to not being able to reset the tablet and it being out of warranty. We spoke to them about a repair and they put us in contact with SBE LTD, who do the repairs for them. They received the tablet and rang us with a repair bill of £94, to replace the full case , which included both the volume keys.
They did inform us tho that the £94 has to be paid up front and whilst they were assuming that this should repair the tablet they did warn us that when they started to strip it down if they noticed that the motherboard was damaged as well then the £94 paid for the case etc would still apply but then we would need to pay an additional £160 or so, IIRC, for the replacement motherboard.
Or they would send the tablet back with a new case but obviously non functioning volume keys and tablet, as the motherboard itself would still be damaged.
If we had needed to pay that additional amount that would have taken the total price way beyond the value of the tablet.
Thankfully the replacement case etc, three months warranty, succeeded in resolving the issue and the tablet works fine.

Whilst it would not have been good at all if they had discovered further damage whilst replacing the outer case at least we were made aware up front of the potential for this to happen and the possible extra costs beyond the value of the tablet we could incur.

Back
Top Bottom