PC isnt stable at any CPU overclock? (Asus P6X58D Premium)

Soldato
Heres my system.

Asus P6X58D Premium X58
i7 960 Bloomfield @ 3.2Ghz stock
Prolimatech Super Mega with two 120mm fans. (35-39oC idle)
Kingston HyperX memory - 12 GB : 3 x 4 GB
280GTX

Basically i tried overclocking for the first time last night. I matched the overclocking settings of someone with the equviant motherboard on youtube. I started by overclocking to just over 3.2Ghz. Tried playing the BF3 beta and my system locked up.

Anyone have the same motherboard, what bios settings should I have enabled / disabled. Whys my system so unstable?

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Things to check that many beginners forget...

1) Is your PSU up to the job? Power consumption increases considerably when OCing
2) Is your memory definitely stable and fault free?
3) Are the reducing your memory multiplier to keep the memory speed within its limits?

Soldato
OP
1 / Ye its well upto the job 700W Toughpower
2/ Think so :p Seems alright
3/ So keep the memory multiplier so it stays below 1600mhz?

Soldato
OP
Ahh that could be it then? So should I try keeping it below 1066 then? I just assumed becuase the RAM says 1600, thats the speed it should be.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
3/ So keep the memory multiplier so it stays below 1600mhz?
that's an absolute maximum, the problem is that the memory controller is on the CPU so the faster the CPU the less stable the memory controller will be.

Tobe honest I'd start by keeping the memory below 1333Mhz (or 1066MHz if it goes that far) and then once you find the limits of your CPU you can try to increase the memory speed.

Trying to overclock both at the same time is insanely hard to balance.\\

Soldato
OP
So lessening (?) the memory speed wont reduce the chance of getting a higher CPU clock will it?

Also in terms of overclocking whats a good start and maximium for the V-Core voltage?

Soldato
OP
Ok, little update. Tried.the above and im currently at

4.1 Ghz @ 1.4 v at 49oC full load

Should I keep going? :D

Also, I've just ran a successful stress test for 10 mins, is that long enough do you think?

Associate
Ok, little update. Tried.the above and im currently at

4.1 Ghz @ 1.4 v at 49oC full load

Should I keep going? :D

Also, I've just ran a successful stress test for 10 mins, is that long enough do you think?

10 min is not enough :p, try prime 95 for few(6-12) hrs to test stability.

Soldato
OP
6 - 12 hours!!!

Well ive just played some BF3 beta for about an hour. All seems well, increase has deffonatly helped performance wise aswell :D

Can someone explain this Turbo Boost stuff?

Im really confused

my 'My Computer' screen says im running 3.96Ghz
CPU Z says im at 4.1Ghz
Intel Tuning Utiility says im between 4.0Ghz with a boost to 4.29Ghz

WTF

Last edited:
Caporegime
Have a read through this guide here, it was originally wrote for the 920/30 using a p6t deluxe board, bios options on the p6 x58de will be almost identical.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

Always use the bios for overclocking, built in windows utilities tend to use pretty high voltages, therefore upping temps, always set voltages manually where possible, as 1.4v sounds rather high so im assuming auto.

Soldato
OP
Have a read through this guide here, it was originally wrote for the 920/30 using a p6t deluxe board, bios options on the p6 x58de will be almost identical.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

Always use the bios for overclocking, built in windows utilities tend to use pretty high voltages, therefore upping temps, always set voltages manually where possible, as 1.4v sounds rather high so im assuming auto.

I am using the BIOS im just using the stress test thing that comes with the tuning utility :)

Soldato
Waiting hours with prime95 is boring I agree, and IMO you don't need to. You can use Intel Burn Test. Grab IBT v2.5.2, set the memory usage to at least 4GB, ideally as much as poss, and let it do 10 loops. If it completes without error you're solid. Post a screenie if you're not sure :)

Soldato
OP
Well ive left it over work for 7 hours so if its fine by the time I get in ill take it as ok.

Ill try what you said aswell joeyjojo once im home :)

Soldato
OP
In from work and stress test - Passed.

Bumped it upto 4.4Ghz still at 1.4v, passed the 10 min test. Like last night Ill try playing some BF3 beta, see if it works. If it does ill do the 7 hour stress test again tommrrow :)

This CPU cooler is incredible its barely breaking 55oC full load...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm, Im having abit of an issue. Programs just keep shutting down. Ive normally just experienced a proper full on system fail when overclocking so is this seems odd...

Could you please check out my CPU-Z and tell me if it looks ok?

23642042.jpg

Soldato
You may need more volts for 4.4, say 1.45 (as seen here).

Stability test with Intel Burn Test 2.52 set to 4 GB or more of memory, do 10 loops.

The memory clocks and timings are up to you as you haven't told us what sticks they are! In fact, 527 MHz is probably below spec. Give us a screenie/refer to the SPD tab in CPUZ.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom