PC making strange beeps... (not POST related)

Associate
Hi

I'm experiencing a problem with my computer that's stumping me a bit, and as my searching turned up no results I thought I'd ask around here.

My comp has been making 'beep' sounds recently whilst in operation. They sound like they are coming from the pc speaker. Typically they occur when I am doing something, e.g. watching a movie, initiating an application going around Windows Explorer. I do not seem to be able to manually induce them though, which is cnfusing me a bit.

Sometimes the beep is accompanyed by a performance stutter, for example I'll hear the beep then the film that I'm watching will skip momentarily. Sometimes the beeps come in two's or threes, although there seems to not be any pattern to it.

Spec:
Win XP
Athlon 2800+ XP
NF7-S Mobo
Hercules 9800pro
1gb 2700 RAM

Any ideas guys?

Thanks
Phil

Associate
i just had something like this happen to me while playing HL2 DM. so i installed speedfan and kept it open on my other screen, booted up the game again and after a few mins the beeping started again. speedfan was showing constant 100% cpu useage!!!!

not sure why though

just a thought maybe worth installinbg speedfan to see what if anything it tells you

Associate
OP
Thanks antc... wierd ain't it. Sometimes it sounds like a *tck* sound comes immediately after the beep before it gets back to normal.

Just ran speedfan and everything looks fairly normal. Not exactly the arctic but certainly not hot enough to cause problems...

Associate
i've had something vagualy familiar, it turned out to be the hdd failing, there was something wrong with one of the platters so occasionally when i was trying to play or run somethign from it the hdd would encouter this badsection and "jump" a microscopic amount, this would make it go tick and the cpu usage shot upto 100% for a sec and whatever i was watching or trying to do would "judder" for a sec. try a spare hdd, make an image of your system stick it on another hdd and see if it still makes a noise when the os is running from the new hdd, if it doesn't then you've got you culprit, rma the hdd

Back
Top Bottom