PC powers off only when gaming, and only certain games?

Soldato
Hi Guys,

PC is powering off when playing some games (Halflife alyx, titanfall 2, man eater) but absolutely fine with others and with YouTube etc.

When it does power off it does it without warning and will only turn on again if I remove the power cable from the PSU and watch the MB RBG go out. Then once plugged back in it will power on again.

I'm assuming this is a PSU issue?

PSU is Kolink KL-1000M 1000W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply bought in Feb last year from OCUK

Other Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 Twelve Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Tray
ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO CPU Cooler - 120mm
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B30
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Seagate 1TB 2.5" BarraCuda 120 SATA Solid State Drive (ZA1000CM10003)
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Super EVO OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

What kind of temperatures are you seeing?

It could be that after unplugging and plugging your power back in that your system has had time to cool down allowing it to boot again

Agreed, temps is a good place to look. Get something like Afterburner to monitor them.

Soldato
Replace the PSU. Plenty of reports of it causing power surges and shutdowns, e.g. "every 10-30 minutes cause immediately system shut down after which psu need to be power cycled to get back on" and "psu will randomly switch off and come up with the error message "system power fault triggered due to power surge".

It's quite a nice system you have so replace ASAP instead of continuing to test it, imo.

Soldato
OP
Replace the PSU. Plenty of reports of it causing power surges and shutdowns, e.g. "every 10-30 minutes cause immediately system shut down after which psu need to be power cycled to get back on" and "psu will randomly switch off and come up with the error message "system power fault triggered due to power surge".

It's quite a nice system you have so replace ASAP instead of continuing to test it, imo.

Yeah it's not something I want to keep occurring tbh. Pretty sure temps arnt an issue since I've played other games and I've made the room hot, but had no issues. Gone onto a few PSU calcs and seen I dont need more than a 500w or so, so I will look at replacing it with a 750w modular and main branded PSU

Soldato
If you had money for that expensive graphics card, you should have certainly had money for also proper quality PSU.
Those Kolinks are cheap crap and that's literally even fraudulently named.
It should be marketed as 850W at most.

So untill proven otherwise that's primary suspect.

Soldato
OP
If you had money for that expensive graphics card, you should have certainly had money for also proper quality PSU.
Those Kolinks are cheap crap and that's literally even fraudulently named.
It should be marketed as 850W at most.

So untill proven otherwise that's primary suspect.

First contact with them and maybe a little naive about them. I wont be making the same mistake again :)

Soldato
First contact with them and maybe a little naive about them. I wont be making the same mistake again :)
PSU is often one of the weak links in prebuilts.
Same for supermarket PCs.

Equally often also rest of the parts are unbalanced, or waste money into some brand/fashion hype.

Back
Top Bottom