Associate
Hi Guys,

- I am a recent architecture graduate.
- I used to be a gamer but not anymore. (Played on my old laptop at low setting)
- My company said that they will sponsor me to get a better PC, with the limit up to £710.

I did some research and found two set ups.
Both have 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1T HDD, WiFi and Windows10.
I also will have two monitors.

- Set up 1 - CPU - Intel i5 9400f with GPU - GTX 1660 Super 6GB

- Set up 2 - CPU - Ryzen 7 2600x with GPU - GTX 1650 4GB

I understand that 1660super is much better than 1650, however I'm worried about the cpu as i5 has 6cores and 6threads, compared to Ryzen with 8cores 16threads.

Which one would be better for me, providing its for architecture not gaming or do you have even better one in mind, please?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Will the software you use take advantage of the extra 2 cores on the 2600x ?

If not then get the 9400f and game well in your spare time.

The 1650 is not even the super which is disappointing.

What software do you use ?

Associate
OP
Honestly, I don't know if it will take the advantage, I'm not pc girl. This is what they said when I showed the the i5:

''The pc you have chosen is i5, you may find that this is not powerful enough and under-performs. You may wish to have another look for an alternative.

But when I called them, I forgot to mention the GPU when I sent it earlier, so although ryzen might be better? i5 comes with betterr GPU to make up for the difference?

Man of Honour
Let's clarify

Was it your company that said it wasn't powerful enough? If yes then show them both specs or get them to recommended a system as they are giving you a budget.

Or do they expect you to add to the budget.

What software will you use for architecture as we can check the system requirements.

Associate
OP
Well these are their recommendations:
It must have minimum:
- 16GB RAM,
- 256GB SSD
- 1T HDD
- WiFi
- Windows10
And either ryzen 7 or i7.

They don't mention the gpu, which is interesting, I just assumed i will need it because of the designs? I could get much better CPU but with integrated GPU?
Some of the programs will include:
- Rhino 3D
- AutoCAD
- Revit Architecture
- Sketch up

Man of Honour
I think you should liaise with your company and get them to propose a build or system. There are a lot of variables with software and how complex the use you don't want to be waiting hours for it to complete.

Rhino can use gpu accleration.

Ask your colleagues see what they have

Associate
OP
Awesome, so since this is the budget, based on what you said I will go with i5 and 1660 as it is better than pure focus on cpu and no gpu or ryzen 7 with much weaker gpu.
However I will also ask them.

Thank you, now I'm not worried at all :D.

Back
Top Bottom