Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core/Twelve Thread 3.9GHz
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+ 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Intel 660P 512GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe QLC 3D NAND Solid State Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache HDD
Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
From BU-004-SP:Kolink KL-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power 1 Supply
Screens: AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2

I believed this PC would be fit for my gaming needs, playing mainly League of Legends, Overwatch and GTA via the FiveM mod. I also thought buying it pre built would avoid this sort of issue.
However, when opening these games both screens turn black screening (I can hear game sounds but see nothing) or the entire PC shuts down. I've tried upping my fan speeds to max and this doesn't seem to resolve the issue. I'm assuming its some sort of overheat situation?

Its incredibly frustrating! I can atm play League and GTA, but Overwatch (installed yesterday) doesn't let me get beyond the start menu before the PC shutting down.

Looking in the AMD software it says my Pc performance is 'marginal' but I can't understand why. I've followed the AMD updates, and made sure Windows is updated. This PC has always had this issue but its more problematic now I actually have some time to play games.

Please please please save me from this hell! :'D

Soldato
For one thing that PSU is really at most 500W one and cheap China Export garbage.
While 500W would be enough for that card, cheap crap quality and faulty from the start individual PSU can't be excluded.

You could try downclocking GPU to see if lowered power draw helps things.
And in case of some software issues try first using only one monitor.

Associate
Some things to start with. Install HWMonitor so you can see the temps and power draw you are getting. Install MSI afterburner, this software allows you to easily lower the gpu power useage if you need too. Install and run Heaven benchmark on a loop and keep an eye on the temps. If you can run Heaven for an hour on loop then it is not a cooling issue.

You should test for stability with just one screen plugged in. Limit the potential issues and add things in to test once you have a stable platform.

Like EsaT says , the PSU is a potential problem but lots of things to test first.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses :)
I'm a total noob at all this stuff tbh, I installed HWMonitor last night and tried to watch the temps whilst running Overwatch but it completely shuts down as soon as the menu loads in. Running it now with only this Chrome window open I'm getting a max of 58c for the processor and 53c for the GPU.
Ill take a look at Heaven benchmark.

Do you guys have any PSU recommendations?

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £211.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Any one of those will suit your needs. Changing a PSU is not hard , just make sure you change all the leads from the old one and use the new leads that come with the new PSU. Is an OCUK build so their cable management will most likely be better than I have ever done.

It could very well be a faulty psu causing the issues but if it is not then putting a new one in will not solve the issue so is best to fully test before you buy anything. The best way to test a psu is to put a different one into the pc and see if the pc still has the same issue, any friends live close and you can borrow a psu?

Other ways to test a psu is to run Prime95 and Heaven/Furmark at the same time. If your pc can simultaneously run those then the psu is most likely not the issue.

Associate
OP
Yeah I just had a nosey and opened up the case, the cable management is good but removing it will be tricky as its under a metal shelf...
I just tried to run the Heaven benchmark thing, got about 7 minutes in and the screens went black and into standby. PC didnt restart but it didnt display anything.
Now I've restarted my Pc both screens power on, show the display but wont work as a continuous monitor, I tried playing with the settings in Windows for Display 1 and 2 but it only detects one display despite showing the same screen on them both. So looks like I've now somehow made it worst...

Associate
OP
I don't have access to another PSU unfortunately, I did fish out my old PC but the connections don't match up. I really thought a pre build would avoid all of this.

Associate
Any electronic component can develop a fault over time or even be faulty from the start. I do not think this is a psu problem at all and I think your gpu is dying. Without extra components to test with it can be hard to diagnose just what is at fault. Changing psu and or gpu is the easiest way to test but you need spares for that.

Associate
OP
What’s making you think it’s the GPU?
I agree spare parts would be the easiest thing but unfortunately aren't an option I have, all my friends are online xD with no one local to me.
I don't understand why running the Heaven benchmark now means it wont detect two displays, it was atleast doing that before.

Associate
If your gpu was faulty then you stressed it and sped up its inevitable death, you did make it worse but it was going to happen anyway.

Associate
OP
I have 2 screens again! I reinstalled the AMD software, well it advised I downgraded it (I didn't touch the AMD software pre benchmarking, and it opened before), anyways it brought my 2 screens back. Something is definitely not right though. I've messaged Overclockers. I'd rather it wasn't a dead GPU as looking at the cost of those... Its most of my build :'D. But I'd also very much like to be able to play more than League of Legends.
Thanks for the support guys! You've been great.

Associate
Did you get to the bottom of this? My youngest has a very similar set up. He has better PSU but low end GFX card. His pc has been doing similar things, screen go blank, random restarts etc. His turned out to be a faulty Gigabyte B450 Elite motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom