PC shutting down 2-3 times a day randomly.

Associate
I recently purchased a pre-built pc from overclockers,i recieved it last week and after unboxing and plugging it in it wouldn't come on at all then after about an hour or so it turned on and ran perfectly for 2-3 days then at least 2 to 3 times a day it just shuts down for 3-4 minutes roughly then allows me to turn it back on. I keep the pc in the under part of my pc desk in almost a drawer like place made for a pc to sit in,could it be overheating or does it sound something a little more sinister. When the pc is on,its amazing,everything i wanted and more.
Kolink Inspire Series K3 RGB Micro-ATX Case - Black Window
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
2070 super Graphics Card
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
Seagate 500GB 2.5" BarraCuda Solid State Drive - *System Stock*
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*

Soldato
It would have to be getting very hot to shutdown. Generally, they just thermally throttle if they do get too hot.

Have you monitored the temperatures?

I think you'd be better off contacting OcUK's customer support.

There's a dedicated customer service section on this forum. Otherwise, contact them directly on Monday.

Soldato
as long as you pc has sufficiant airflow getting to it, i'd say you desk should be fine, try to have a good couple of inches clear above the top of the pc as that will allow any hot air inside to escape under load.

as above download hwinfo 64 and upon start up select sensors, it will then open up and give you a gold mine of information about your pc, if anything is wrong hwifo64 usally highlights it in red so it can be found easier.

you didnt mention which motherboard or psu you have

Permabanned
First thing and easy to do, lift it out of that oven and put on top of desk and see if it runs longer.

I had this with a family members Dell years ago, it ran the same amount of time then bang, shutdown and would not power on for a while.

If I left the side open (weird case that was one piece and hinged) and it ran all day so told him it needed taken apart but he never wanted to spend any money on it to fix the issue so...

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can afford that Nvidia priced graphics card you should be able to afford also proper PSU.
That Kolink is low end cheapo.

Also that motherboard has weak VRM with wimpy cooling so better make sure case cooling is good.

Last edited:
Soldato
if moving the pc out from your desk dosnt work and the pc is still shutting down, then it could be a hardware problem, as above looking at you psu and mobo choice, they arnt really the best for the money if i'm being honest, especially you motherboard, i looked on gigabytes site and the vrm does look quite whimpy and you have a 3700x cpu, that'll put a fair amount of strain on those vrms possibly to the point the system shuts off due to vrm overheating.

realistically you could have opted for a good 750w gold rated psu instead of a 1k bronze unit, hell if you dont overclock then a 600-650w gold unit would've be ok

download some temp monitering programs and keep any eye out for anything thats running hot (hwinfo 64 is a great tool)

Associate
OP
@EsaT I am new to Pc's and building so the one i bought was almost entirely made from the advice of the overclockers team,i mentioned a GPU upgrade but no one mentioned a mobo upgrade to compliment it,i would have happily paid a little extra,the GPU and CPU were my choice and i think everything else was stock but i rang several times asking for advice and this is what i ended up with. And @wookiee87 i do appreciate all the feedback. The pc is still shutting down,i have a weird issue when i plug a sound interface in even when its shut down my speakers buzz and my keybaord flashes and when it does shut down i can't restart till the "RBG" light goes off. Obviously the pc does what i want and i am happy (when it's on),i am not complaining at it but as you say i could have maybe got more complimentary parts had a little better advice to upgrade a few things to support the parts better.

Soldato
as above i'd be straight on the phone to overclockers explaing the problem you have, i suspect somethings overheating which is causing the pc to shutdown, one final thing to try before starting a rma with overclockers is take the side pannel off, it was mentioned above eariler in the post but not sure if you've done that.

if you have had the side pannel off and its still playing up, then give overclockers a ring explaining the problem and they will guide you through what to do
the components i'd try and change would be the motherboard and the psu, other than that the rest of your build is pretty good a 3700x plus a 2070s is a great combo

An 3700X with an 2070 Super in an micro ATX case stuffed in confined area under your desk you say.

And is that running on an standard AMD wraith prism air cooler?

Yup could well be thermals.
Install and run CoreTemp and let us know what you max CPU temps are over an hour or two of normal usage.

Soldato
Geez, that case would be good only for web surfing/word processing PC...
No stock fans at all and case can take only tiny 92mm fan into rear and one 120mm into front for what counts only as minimal cooling by todays standards.
And then using that best before date expired 15+ years ago layout using PSU on top as case fan...
Looks like Kolink still found a way to lower their standing in my eyes:
Materials for proper layout case wouldn't have cost any more.

Sure hope graphics card has blower cooler, because that's the only kind graphics card that case is fit to house without everything baking alive when you start game.

Associate
OP
@The Old School Gamer Min 39 Max 63 crashed 3 times within 45 mins,i rang them and theyre taking it back tommorrow. Should i be asking any questions,should i be looking at them replacing for better parts? I spent my budget on what i have so not sure what else i can do personally,it seems to have turned up already with the issues. They mentioned replacing the current psu with a Gold standard corsair 850.

Temps are surprisingly fine.

It could be one of a number of things.
Best to let OcUK troubleshoot it further back in their workshop.
They will check the PSU voltages and load test the different parts for stability

They will find the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom