PC to HDTV via VGA

Associate
Ok, slightly long winded title but here goes...

I bought myself a big HD telly a few weeks back, and wanted to hook it up to my PC. My PC sits in the other side of the house (a good 20m away) and as I was skint I couldn’t afford to buy an HDMI cable that length.

I thought I would give it a bash with a VGA cable, but before buying it I thought id better test it to make sure I can get the full 1920x1080. Hooking it up via my 1m vga cable, everything worked fine, looked great at 1920x1080, so I bought myself a 20m vga cable.

Got everything hooked up and was dismayed to find it would only run at a maximum of 1600x1200 with the longer cable. I’m running an ATI x1800 so I used the Catalyst control centre to force the Resolution to 1920X1080. While this kind of works, the problem I'm having is that it displays it at a 4:3 ratio (meaning I've got giant black bars on each side of the picture). Using the control centre to stretch it just causes the picture to cut out.

I was aware that a VGA cable of that length would cause a drop in quality, but not a drop in resolution. Is there some way to remedy the resolution drop? If not, can someone suggest a viable alternative?

Cheers

Associate
although I have not come across this before either but could it be possible that output 1 on your GFX card can output at 1920 x 1080 but output 2 only at 1600 x 1200 assuming that you still have your monitor connected up as the PC is back in its normal position.

Associate
It may be that the tv doesnt accept 1080p via VGA? My Toshiba Full HD LCD is limited to 1280*768 on the vga input. Lowering the refresh rate to 50hz may help.

Soldato
pin 9 is missing! Does anyone know what that controls?

Missing pin 9 is fairly normal. Seems strange.

It may be that the tv doesnt accept 1080p via VGA? My Toshiba Full HD LCD is limited to 1280*768 on the vga input. Lowering the refresh rate to 50hz may help.

Can't really be that as it does work with shorter cable.

I can only think the signal is not strong enough to send full HD over that distance.

Soldato
yep sounds like the signal is not getting to the TV correctly over the BGA cable...

Best advice I can give is get powerstrip and lower your refresh rate down on the full res, the monitor might pick it up then, if you're going to only be playing media on it and not really playing games then you can take the refresh rate down pretty far.

Back
Top Bottom