Pc upgrade after 5 years

Associate
Hi all
I'm thinking of upgrading my system as its struggling to play the newer games.
So I currently have
I7 4790k
Asus maximus vii ranger
16g ram
R9 290x

What would be a good upgrade bundle so I could play the newer games at 4k and will last me 5 or so years
Im looking at spending £1000-£1200
Cheers Nathan

Associate
OP
Thaks for the replys I think the 3080 is a bit over budget I was thinking around £400 for the gpu as I don't want to spend £800 on a gpu and then In six months the mb packs up and then I need to spend another £800 on cpu ram and mb what gpu would be best for around £400-£450

Associate
You might not be able to run new games at 4K for your budget, especially if you want to play them well for 5 years - games are always going to need higher spec to run.
I'm interested to see what advice you get on this tho, i'll be in the same position soon as well, only i was looking at 2K for the same budget.

Maybe don't look at the new crysis :)

Associate
OP
Maybe I'll have to up my budget then I'm also wondering what I would get if I was to try and sell my existing parts Anyone have a idea of what I could get for it?

Associate
Thaks for the replys I think the 3080 is a bit over budget I was thinking around £400 for the gpu as I don't want to spend £800 on a gpu and then In six months the mb packs up and then I need to spend another £800 on cpu ram and mb what gpu would be best for around £400-£450
Why would your motherboard pack up in the next 6 months?

If your concern is gaming then you're not being held back much by the 4790k.

I'd be looking at getting as much graphics grunt as I could and would park the CPU and motherboard upgrade for another year or so.

Associate
OP
Why would your motherboard pack up in the next 6 months?

If your concern is gaming then you're not being held back much by the 4790k.

I'd be looking at getting as much graphics grunt as I could and would park the CPU and motherboard upgrade for another year or so.

It's I've just had a few niggles over the last few months which I have concluded was motherboard issues ie usb disconections and a few days ago i was gettiing error cpu fan not working on startup but the cooler is fine just changed the header with a case fan one and it seems fine with good cooling.
Also I think it's nearly 6 years old so I just assumed it would be coming to the end of its life.

Soldato
I'd probably try pick up a GPU now like a 6800XT or RTX 3080 and a 750+w PSU then wait till next summer before doing the rest of the system as prices should have come down by quite a bit then and AMD might have released cheaper non X CPUs while Intel should have rocket lake out.

At 4K you definetly need one of the above GPUs if you want to run games now at 60fps without turning down the settings, the CPU is less important and you could get away with what you have now for a while longer.

Soldato
It's I've just had a few niggles over the last few months which I have concluded was motherboard issues ie usb disconections and a few days ago i was gettiing error cpu fan not working on startup but the cooler is fine just changed the header with a case fan one and it seems fine with good cooling.
Also I think it's nearly 6 years old so I just assumed it would be coming to the end of its life.

So something like an AMD 5800x / RTX 3070/80 is going to give you years of gaming but its the issue of availability and crazy prices. OCUK have 3070 on at £540 but no stock, and 5700XT at same price, in stock but previous gen? Maybe a 2070 Super at £400 ish secondhand to tied you over is quickest option?

Associate
OP
So something like an AMD 5800x / RTX 3070/80 is going to give you years of gaming but its the issue of availability and crazy prices. OCUK have 3070 on at £540 but no stock, and 5700XT at same price, in stock but previous gen? Maybe a 2070 Super at £400 ish secondhand to tied you over is quickest option?

I see what you mean about the availability can seem to find a 3070/3080 anywhere well for around that price anyway

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom