• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The only I'm trying to highlight is that PS5 adoption among US PC gamers is several times faster than PS4 adoption was. The PS5 is seen in a far more positive light than last gen was - and I'm only guessing that the reason for this is the competitive performance vs the average PC gamer who has a gtx1060 and can't afford a rtx3060

There are other factors at work such as people looking for things to do in lockdown so picking up leisure items, gamers nexus said that sales of 2080ti's were poor until lockdown and suddenly everyone wanted one and the same for everything pc building related as well. You can't simply say because sales of consoles were it up must automatically be because of prices of 3060's. Likewise people can't simply state that people are switching to consoles because gfx cards are scalped because PS5's are scalped as well try and buy one now at msrp at an online store, you can't. Its misleading at best

Associate
There are other factors at work such as people looking for things to do in lockdown so picking up leisure items, gamers nexus said that sales of 2080ti's were poor until lockdown and suddenly everyone wanted one and the same for everything pc gaming related as well. You can't simply say because sales of consoles were it up must automatically be because of prices of 3060's. Likewise people can't simply state that people are switching to consoles because gfx cards are scalped because PS5's are scalped as well try and buy one now at msrp at an online store, you can't. Its misleading at best.

from someone who hunted both i promise you is far easier to grab a console (xbox or ps5) than any nvidia FE, hunting a 3080FE took me months.

Associate
Probably your monitor, my Dell and LG Oled handle the lower end of the frames fine.

Not my monitor, i am using a LG OLED CX 55, 40 unstable FPS is not playable at all, i personally would never play it on those settings, i tried it, its awful, you either play 4k with RT OFF or 2k with all the bells and whistles. fully maxed 4k its horrible and i would not advise it to anyone.

Soldato
Not my monitor, i am using a LG OLED CX 55, 40 unstable FPS is not playable at all, i personally would never play it on those settings, i tried it, its awful, you either play 4k with RT OFF or 2k with all the bells and whistles. fully maxed 4k its horrible and i would not advise it to anyone.

Something is wrong somewhere for you because it's enjoyable for me and perfectly playable.

Associate
Something is wrong somewhere for you because it's enjoyable for me and perfectly playable.

I am happy that you enjoy it that way, good thing being able to have that tailored and customised experience on pc for your personal taste i guess, personally i rather play it above 60 FPS and lose some resolution instead, nothing wrong with either option.

Associate
I took a long break from gaming from around 2014-2019 so luckily for me i have years worth of games to catch up on i can easily run on my i74790 & rx5700, the only reason i want to upgrade is for PCVR games which my current set up struggles with some of the demanding titles where i have to lower settings.

Soldato
from someone who hunted both i promise you is far easier to grab a console (xbox or ps5) than any nvidia FE, hunting a 3080FE took me months.

My experience also, couldn't buy a GPU from November 2020 to February 2021 despite working on a PC all day, part alerts etc etc

Got my Series X ordered and delivered within 2 weeks

Stripped the PC down and sold it all off for silly money, the Vega 56 I got more than double what I paid for it 2 years previous I was quids in and much prefer the Series X for simplicity and unbeatable price/performance

Take the Forza talk for example, the PC thread is full of people posting issues and tweaking settings, the console threads are full of people discussing the actual game

PC gaming has become a bit of a mugs game if I'm honest, no offence intended I get its hard to let go of a long term hobby but paying insane money to play broken console ports, let's be honest now it's mental

Permabanned
same, textures do not load for me in that game. i have a 3060ti and 8 gb vram seems eol at 1440p dunno. i thought i could get away with 1-2 years but didn't expect so brutal so quick honestl :mad:
they say its ultra bug but i dont know. when i set textures to extreme i get se4vere frame drops, when i set them to high they look horrible, they look like xbox one s version. im baffled

Associate
My experience also, couldn't buy a GPU from November 2020 to February 2021 despite working on a PC all day, part alerts etc etc

Got my Series X ordered and delivered within 2 weeks

Stripped the PC down and sold it all off for silly money, the Vega 56 I got more than double what I paid for it 2 years previous I was quids in and much prefer the Series X for simplicity and unbeatable price/performance

Take the Forza talk for example, the PC thread is full of people posting issues and tweaking settings, the console threads are full of people discussing the actual game

PC gaming has become a bit of a mugs game if I'm honest, no offence intended I get its hard to let go of a long term hobby but paying insane money to play broken console ports, let's be honest now it's mental
I get you, I LOVE my pc and would definitely say it's superior in pretty much every game to my ps5 but it was also over twice the cost and expecting the consoles to beat a GPU that's twice as expensive as it ALONE is ridiculous to me.
Sometimes I'm all for sticking on a game, laying on the sofa with a controller and having a hassle free time. And if you want to upgrade your pc now you are just going to have to deal with paying for WAY overpriced parts. I bet you could pick up a console for £450 eventually, but GPUs......nah.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Pretty good summation but fair. I said before, when I couldn't source a PS5 in 2020 I happened to stumble on a 3090 which was a bitter pill to swallow at the time but happy enough now thanks to mining! One of my hardcore gamer friends has pretty much ditched PC since PS4 and I think PS5 has cemented no comebacks.

Permabanned

Maybe something is wrong with your build ?
I also use a 65" Oled 4K panel with G-Sync and play all games at 4K@120 , 60fps + With a PC you need to build it properly, I also always overclock my CPU and use 16GB DDR4 RAM, the CPU is not even a Ryzen 9 or 11900K:rolleyes:.

I played Cyberpunk2077 on a 3080 max settings with DLSS Quality and got 60fps + @4K 120Hz ( I think,I turned off one setting in the options but definitely had Ray Tracing on) and it looked better than on a console (PS5).Have not tried it on my 3090 rig , as I don't really play Cyberpunk2077 anymore because of the bugs.

But lets say in Resident Evil Village, I play that with all the settings cranked up to max, with Ray Tracing and get 4K@120Hz 90fps+ on a 3090. My PC plays 100% of games at 4K 60fps +

Yep, some people really understimate how convenient they are.

A PC is super convenient, you can plug in a Game Pad and it works just like a console. You then have the added benefit of using a keyboard and mouse to play FPS and strategy games like Doom Eternal, COD....so I reckon PC is more convenient than a PS5. You can play music and game or download stuff , do college work , check social media, some mine on it, all from the same seat. It's in a different league if you mention productivity and convenience.

PCs and Consoles are both scalped badly, but GPU availability is far better than last year with LHR GPUs. It would be great to see GPU pricing back to reasonable levels.

Last edited:
Associate
LOL, there is nothing wrong with my build. you are not maxing cyberpunk @4k and not dipping frequently below 60 fps on any GPU on the market right now let alone on a 3080 LOL, period, not that i think its a good game anyways, its a bad game but also a stupidly demanding one when you crank on all the RT and psycho settings.

Associate
Yeah I'm pretty much with you! Love my pc but it really isn't where the value is at! Even with all these more expensive console games. I think a healthy combo of console and pc gaming is my preferred way..... sometimes I just prefer the simplicity of sticking a game on a console and not having to bother with optimizing performance or badly optimised pc ports
Exactly. Sometimes the botched jobs of porting a game to PC can be to buggy. Sometimes playing on consoles can elevate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom