PC won't post sometimes after overclock (Ryzen 3)

Associate
I've tried overclocking my Ryzen 3 1200 to 3.7GHz, it all went good, ran AIDA64 for an hour, temps are well within limits (58C max), no issues at all.

Tested 3.7GHz on auto voltage, 1.225v, 1.250v, 1.275v, 1.300v, 1.325v - they all stably work for me, however, when I try to restart the PC - it refuses to post sometimes (happens randomly, good that there's an "Auto Clear CMOS" feature) and I have no idea whether it's because the voltage is too high or too low? We can clearly take the PSU out of the culprit list as it was replaced yesterday. Thanks in advance!

AM00QLE.png
I have another question, unless that goes off-topic: I've tried reaching 3.8/3.9GHz, but I couldn't, no matter what voltage I set, any ideas?​

Specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.7GHz OC @ 1.3250v currently
CPU Cooler: DeepCool GAMMAX GT RGB
MOBO: MSI B350M GAMING PRO
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: ADATA XPG D10 Gammix 1x8GB @ 2666MHz
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1000GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 550 FX Gold
OTHER: BIOS, and all drivers, including chipset/graphics are latest.

Man of Honour
Long shot but maybe run memtest on your ram, does the msi board have auto overclocking MSI gene and have u tried ?

Game Boost on ?

LLC set higher mode 2 is low .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Long shot but maybe run memtest on your ram, does the msi board have auto overclocking MSI gene and have u tried ?

Game Boost on ?

LLC set higher mode 2 is low .

I did run memtest, no errors were found, ran windows memory diagnostics tool as well - no errors on there too. All this motherboard has is a "Game Boost" and AXMP.

Game Boost is off, I think it won't let me do any overclocking if it's on, I might be wrong, though.

Which LLC mode you suggest me to use? (or should I just leave it on Auto?) Thanks.

Man of Honour
Game Boost is off, I think it won't let me do any overclocking if it's on, I might be wrong, though.

Which LLC mode you suggest me to use? (or should I just leave it on Auto?) Thanks.

I think you maybe wrong about game boost

Mode 8 is 100% so rty it for know and then adjust lower if stable

Associate
I have problems with my msi B350 Gaming plus. Not quite the same. But weird stuff happens between the bios and windows. Mainly Cpuid and windows showing lower or different settings to what is set in the bios. I can however get the settings to match up eventually. And all works good. Still can't get cool and Quiet to work . But at least I got a stable 3.8 the oc @ 1.296 v. Llc is set to 5 but I'm still messing with that. Although not quite the same faults. They are weird. I will try that video also.
Sorry I ain' much help. Just saying. Your not alone !!!

Ps: my memory won't run any higher than 2800 no matter what I do !! And is 3000 memory !!!

Associate
OP
Tried what the video said.
You can't oc when game mode is on.
Well you can't on mine

Can't OC while game mode is on either, however, LLC mode 8 seems to bump voltages up a lot and I'm kinda afraid, cause, for example 1.41V & 1.42V are way too high, considering I do fine with just 1.225V/1.250V @ 3.7GHz.
My RAM is 3000MHz as well, runs fine at 2993MHz (AXMP Profile 2) though. I'm starting to wonder whether it's just the motherboard not dealing with overclocking properly (or I have bad luck with motherboards lol) or unstable overclock...
By the way, Task Manager and CPU-Z were showing different frequency for me as well, turned off C6 State and C'n'Q and its good now.

Associate
So your oc is sorted at 3.7?
You might as well set your oc to 3.8
Now. I set my llc to 5. Now under load
My core voltage is 1.296v Vid is similar which I presume means I havnt got much vdroop which I think is good !!!
Like you I have no cool and Quiet. I think my board had a fault but I'm trying to work out if it's worth the bother.
Think I'm gonna sell up in the new year and switch to coffee lake when the new boards come out to go with the i5 8400 !!

Associate
OP
So your oc is sorted at 3.7?
You might as well set your oc to 3.8
Now. I set my llc to 5. Now under load
My core voltage is 1.296v Vid is similar which I presume means I havnt got much vdroop which I think is good !!!
Like you I have no cool and Quiet. I think my board had a fault but I'm trying to work out if it's worth the bother.
Think I'm gonna sell up in the new year and switch to coffee lake when the new boards come out to go with the i5 8400 !!

I can't even go near 3.8 for some reason, whatever voltage I set along with a frequency of 3800MHz it refuses to post, don't know the reason why.
About Cool'nQuiet, hell if I know, it gets turned off automatically once you play with the frequencies, so I suppose even if you turn it back on again it won't work properly at all... that's my guess.
I'll be sticking to Ryzen, but to be honest, I think I made a mistake by purchasing this specific MSI board, thinking to switch to AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom