• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PCIE5 GPUs sooner than expected?

Soldato
OP
And just for luls, in the announcement video they show a RTX3090 on a test bench having a 940w transient spike!

Caporegime
And just for luls, in the announcement video they show a RTX3090 on a test bench having a 940w transient spike!

image.png

Soldato
More likely Intel will go PCIe 5.0 for ARC to try and upsell their mb/CPUs as AMD did back for RDNA 1 and PCIe gen 4.0 even though they barely got close to saturating PCIe 2.0.

Soldato
ASUS has launched its ROG THOR II power supplies, these new models have PCIE 5 12 pin power connectors for "next gen Nvidia and AMD GPUs"

Surely they wouldn't launch it way ahead, is the 3090ti coming soon?

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-co...en-gpus-announces-new-rog-thor-power-supplies
Sure they would. Most people keep PSUs for years and years. It's just an exercise in box ticking and another feature to slap on the packaging, to try and convince people that this is the PSU to buy because it's "futureproof".

Associate
So it's not the same 12-pin connecter on the likes of the 3080/90 FE?
It looks like it from the asus video above. @38.30 ish they highlight the fe edition 12pin as PCIe 5 power while talking about their PSUs and GPU power.
I’m sure there are other resources around that can provide a definitive answer.

Soldato
Soldato
Its 2030 and we can see with pci gen 20 gpu's been released with pciev20 x16 bandwidth hitting 4% utilisation, whilst consumer boards have contention on the DMI bus. :)

Soldato
Soldato
Will they be the newer standard only or have dual connectivity to support two technologies?

Seems on top of inflated GPU prices people might soon be forced to upgrade PSU's. :(

Also as well am I the only one that thinks this trend for PC gaming pushing to high power is concerning? A 1600W PSU O_o.

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll likely only be the FE cards that require these new power supply connectors otherwise the AIB's are going to be shooting themselves in the foot, I can't see people en masse buying a new PSU just for a new GPU.

It might be like the last FE's from Nvidia that require an adaptor but will function fine with any PSU.

Associate
Will they be the newer standard only or have dual connectivity to support two technologies?

Seems on top of inflated GPU prices people might soon be forced to upgrade PSU's. :(

Also as well am I the only one that thinks this trend for PC gaming pushing to high power is concerning? A 1600W PSU O_o.

Although the current 6 and 8 pins are rated for 75W and 150W respectively, the 12pin connector is designed to deliver up to 648W and since the release of the 12pin on the 3000 series fe cards 2x8pin to 12pin cables have been pretty common.

It seems to me that there should be no reason to upgrade the PSU, only the cables to ensure the wire gauge is sufficient for the load and the connector is correct.
This assumes you have a PSU capable of delivering 600W ish on the 12V rail plus whatever other power draw you have in the PC without shutting down if, and only if, you have a gpu that draws that much power.

Keep in mind the 12pin is up to 648W, it doesn’t necessarily mean that every gpu using the connector will be drawing 600W+ or even close to it. It just reduces the need for large 8 pin connectors where one much smaller 12pin will do the same job. The 12pin will supply as little or as much as is needed, just as current 6 and 8 pins do.

edit to add, where I say 12pin, I am including the 12+4 16pin.

Back
Top Bottom