PDA's and Sat Navigation

Associate
I've started looking at PDA's premerily to use for Sat-Nav, but it would be nice for revision etc.

Anyone with any experience, good or bad...I'd like to hear from you all.

Associate
I have a MDA Compact II mobile phone that acts as a PDA and its very handy, i also use a HP 1710 PDA as a Sat nav... again there both very good but every now and again require a soft reset to get it working smoothly...

useful pieces of kit, they can play MP3's, movie files, store photos, some take pictures, act as a phone/satnav, great All in one solution with a easy to use familiar interface...

Soldato
I've got a Dell Axim and TomTom 3. Works like a charm. Now and again my pda chucks its lunch up and I have to pull over and reset it.

For this reason I would be inclined to purchase the TomTom Navigator if you don't need any PDA functions.

I'd be lost without one. :p

Man of Honour
I have a Dell Axim X50v and TomTom5.

Works perfectly - and lets me watch movies, listen to music, do coursework, take lecture notes, browse the internet and hundreds of other things that overpriced TomTom standalone units cannot do.

Plus they are smaller and more convenient.

Soldato
I've got an iPaq 4700 and TomTom 5 (with a CF GPS card).

I had to drive up to Leeds yesterday as I was attending a wedding and it would've got me there on time had I not entered the wrong postcode, doh!! (I entered the brides home address instead of the church :D)

While I was in the hotel waiting for my gf to get ready this morning I was able to surf the net on the hotels wireless network, double bonus :)

A final plus point was that I've also got the speedcam database installed on it which was handy yesterday when I had to break one or two speed limits in order to get to the church after my slight error.

Soldato
I personally condier a cheep PDA with Bluetooth + TomTom5 a much more versitile option than just buying a TomTom all in one unit.

I use my Nokia 6680 (Symbian) phone with TomTom, but since changing my phone to an MDA Vario (HTC Wizard) then i'll upgrade to the Navigator rather than Mobile version.

Soldato
I've got an X50V + Tomtom5, SPV-C500 with Tomtom 5 Mobile and a Tomtom ONE (I bought this for the missus)..

If you primarily want GPS, then I'd go with the standalone TOMTOM ONE. PDA's work well, but like PC's, they can be screwed up quite easily if you are not careful requiring re-installing etc..

I more and more use the ONE as you just turn it on and it always works.. no resetting (For me at least!), it comes with the car mount etc, and just works.. very very convenient, I always use this on private journeys, however I do still use my smartphone for any work trips, as I always have this on me (Well I did until I upgraded to a Nokia N80 and I'm still waiting for TOMTOM to support it)

That's not to say the PDA isn't good, when it's all set up it works fine, but it is more expensive (TOMTOM ONE = £230, PDA + GPS + TOMTOM5 = ~£400)

Soldato
I bought a Palm TX with Tom Tom 5 and bluetooth GPS as a package for £299 which also included the cradle and car charger.The wireless functions were a geat bonus.

Soldato
I have an 02 Mini S (HTC Wizard) and a solar bluetooth GPS unit. Works a treat with Tom Tom 5. Never had it crash or require a soft reset unless I load loads of other apps at the same time.

Phone cost £80 on contract (or free if you use a more expensive tariff) and the gps unit was £50. Not bad for £130.

Soldato
Bug One said:
I have an 02 Mini S (HTC Wizard) and a solar bluetooth GPS unit. Works a treat with Tom Tom 5. Never had it crash or require a soft reset unless I load loads of other apps at the same time.

Phone cost £80 on contract (or free if you use a more expensive tariff) and the gps unit was £50. Not bad for £130.
I note the distinct lack of software costs in that estimate... :eek:

Associate
A colleague of mine has tried several PDA solutions, in an attempt to find a "single device" solution:

O2 XDA with add-on GPS.
HP iPaq with built-in GPS
MDA Pro with co-pilot and with TomTom

The MDA Pro with TomTom works the best of the three PDAs, but he still prefers his TomTom One.

Associate
ive got a ipaq 3870 with tom tom, im on the old one because my 5550 is buggered and im having problems with this, it keeps crashing after 5 mins of use and i dont no what to do. Can i reset the my bluetooth tom tom receiver?

Soldato
ICE Master said:
ive got a ipaq 3870 with tom tom, im on the old one because my 5550 is buggered and im having problems with this, it keeps crashing after 5 mins of use and i dont no what to do. Can i reset the my bluetooth tom tom receiver?

More details? What version of TomTom are you running? Is the device using WM2005? Are you using the TomTom GPS unit?

It might be worth having a gander on pocketgpsworld as the forums there are quite handy.

Back
Top Bottom