Penguins are no longer gay

Zip

Zip

Soldato
PHILLIP Island's iconic fairy penguins have been renamed "little penguins" in Queensland to avoid offending the gay community.

In an act of political correctness gone overboard, Sea World theme park operators on the Gold Coast changed the name of their star attraction to avoid being "offensive".
Rebecca Smith, spokeswoman for Sea World, confirmed: "We didn't want to upset the gay community.

"We didn't have any complaints about the name of the penguins, but someone thought it could be seen as offensive so we decided to change it to little penguin instead.

"The name is more politically correct. We're not treating it as a big issue."

But the name change has had the opposite effect. Queensland's gay community described it as ridiculous and unnecessary.

"If they were called poofter penguins or something more direct, it might be a problem. But I don't see the name fairy penguin as a mickey take," Kamahl Fox, chairman of gay support group Gold Coast Breakers, said.

On Phillip Island, where the colony of 60,000 penguins attracts 500,000 visitors a year, operators are quietly amused by the Queenslanders' sensitivities.

"Technically, the name little penguin is closer to their scientific title, Eudyptula (meaning "good little diver") minor, so we do call them that as well," Phillip Island Nature Park spokeswoman Sally O'Neill said.

"But it's nothing to do with the gay community.

"And the parade is still widely known as the fairy penguin parade."

Fairy penguins are found only in the southern hemisphere – particularly off Victoria, Tasmania and New Zealand. They were given the common name "fairy penguin" almost 100 years ago as the smallest of all penguin species.

Gay lobbyist Ms Fox said: "I don't think our community is sensitive about those things. Sea World deals with kids and children love fairies, so they should have left the name as it was. It's cuter."

Another gay-rights group spokesman said "fairy" had not been offensive to gay people for about 30 years. And a spokeswoman for gay and bisexual teenagers said young people grew up recognising the birds as fairy penguins.

Judith Henke, spokeswoman for Melbourne Zoo, said the zoo's fairy penguins were properly titled "little blue penguins", but she added that it hadn't "crossed anybody's mind to rename them because of the gay community".
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18823887%255E662,00.html
This is almost as bad as Bar bar Rainbow sheep.(I wonder where that rainbow sheep want his bar put to :p )
Sorry about that joke, the rainbow sheep is next to go because it will be gay :rolleyes:

Is it just me or is this political correctness getting out of hand?

Soldato
TBH I don't want gay people to think that I have so little in common with them that I would have to dance around their supposed sensibilities or that they need compensation for their status...

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
Same :(

It annoys me too :(
And me too. If someone spoke to me about fairy penguins I wouldn't associate them with homosexuality at all. To be honest I wouldn't associate the word fairy with homosexuality either.:confused:

This sounds like some ruddy quango or committee changing names of things in the chase for harmonious political correctness. And this isn't the first time I've heard the name of something being changed to reduce "offence" to a group of people when that group of people don't take offence at it anyway.:mad:

Soldato
wow how crazily stupid! I went to see the fairy penguins recently on my travels round australia, and they are the cutest things in the world. I was obviously disappointed to find out they dont have cute little fairy wings and wands, but none the less. Its disgraceful how these cute little fairy penguins have had their names changed, how ridiculous!

Soldato
That's pathetic.

Anyway, how many people actually associate the word "fairy" with homosexuality anyway? I only recently even realised the word ever had that meaning at all, 'tis a ridiculous shame that words kee being changed for no reason!

Soldato
Absolutely ridiculous. I love how they didn't even ask the gay community for their views before they went ahead and did it. It's backfired nicely on them hasn't it.

Same as what happened with getting rid of the "Christmas lights" and calling them "Festival lights" or whatever it was because of it potentially offending the muslims etc. When asked about it afterwards, the religious leaders said that they thought it was a silly idea.

Have a rolleyes on me. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Since they've managed to let every one now associate the word fairy with gayness, i wonder if they would do a name change on FAIRY WASHING UP LIQUID as it might offend muslims, christains and people like me who are homophobic too. :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Suspended
866.jpg

ITS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD GONE MAD!! Token " :mad: "

Back
Top Bottom