• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pentium D Dual core any good ?

Soldato
Hi I am looking to put together a system for a friend, she doesn't game or do anything too demanding, but due to the cost of the Intel DC CPU's, I was thinking of using one instead of a low end AMD (S754 3000 or S939 3000).

I was just wondering what your opinions of these CPU's are, if its worth getting one instead of a low end SC AMD, and how do they overclock (thats for my interest, not hers ;)).

If they are worthwhile, what would be a decent Micro ATX Mobo to overclock with ?

Soldato
OP
How to you sort the memory when you O/C the CPU ?
Does it have a divider or is it locked to speed regardless of CPU FSB ?

Associate
Vogon said:
How to you sort the memory when you O/C the CPU ?
Does it have a divider or is it locked to speed regardless of CPU FSB ?

theres no need as these cpus are 533, therefore even cheap pc3200 can run the cpu at 4ghz 1:1

there are dividers however

Soldato
OP
Eh lol .. right now I am confused ;)

As I saw it, the 805 is 133 (x4 to get the 533), and I have PC4200 coming for this build which is 533 IIRC so at stock the CPu and mem are 1:1.
But for example if I wanted to clock the CPU to 3.3 I would set the CPU FSB to 166 the memory would then be overclocked too unless I used a divider ?

Soldato
Vogon said:
Eh lol .. right now I am confused ;)

As I saw it, the 805 is 133 (x4 to get the 533), and I have PC4200 coming for this build which is 533 IIRC so at stock the CPu and mem are 1:1.
But for example if I wanted to clock the CPU to 3.3 I would set the CPU FSB to 166 the memory would then be overclocked too unless I used a divider ?

Running the chip at stock FSB (133) your memory would run at 133 as well (the CPU is quad pumped your memory isn't (Its running DDR so 266 mhz)).

your memory is rated up to 266Mhz so even with the cpu at 4ghz you would still be well within the limits of the memory.

Soldato
OP
Of course, Yes :o I assumed the memory was run at 266 by default and went up with the CPU FSB, but from what you are saying it sets to the same FSB as the CPU ?
Thats good then, I have got the Asus P5LD2-VM micro ATX board coming with it, so it will be interesting to see what that combo can reach on its stock cooler :)

Last edited:
Associate
Vogon said:
Of course, Yes :o I assumed the memory was run at 266 by default and went up with the CPU FSB, but from what you are saying it sets to the same FSB as the CPU ?
Thats good then, I have got the Asus P5LD2-VM micro ATX board coming with it, so it will be interesting to see what that combo can reach on its stock cooler :)

i was talking about ddr1 sorry :D

Soldato
OP
But DDR2 isnt any different to configure is it ?
IE PC4200 DDR2 is still 266FSB (x2), meaning at stock its still underclocked with a D805 as its running 133 ? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LOL !
Glad I didn't buy this to overclock, is is diabolical, anything over 148FSB and it refuses to post :rolleyes:
Gotta say the stock HSF fixings are IMO a bit flimsy (just plastic poppers through the mobo holes, and the stock HSF is noisier than stock AMD ones.

Unless it gets more positive once windows is installed, its not looking like I will spec another ;)

Soldato
OP
yep I am aware the stock cooler wouldnt be up to much, but its not a temp issue as it fails to post above 148 !
FirebarUK, same mobo except mine has DH after VM but thats irrelevant AFAIK.
The board supports 266FSB(1066) oficially for other CPU's so it shouldnt be a limitation on the boards FSB capabilities :confused:

Back
Top Bottom