People named Mohammed apparently pay more for car insurance

Soldato
Name. Address. Registration. Shouldn't need anything more...

You have no idea how insurance works then do you?

What about vehicle type/ age...
Experience of person...
What type of use is the insurance for?
Where car is kept...

Just a few.

All valid questions to asses risk.

Soldato
Nope. Read elmarkos post. Can't use that info.

Well if he thinks that he is clueless.

Admittedly I don't work in motor insurance however I deal with Marine, Aviation and Energy...

So much information can and is used by underwriters/ actuaries to model, price risk..

Name isn't one. However age(experience) and location are regularly used.

Soldato
So...why do different age groups get charged more for car insurance compared to others if you can't use age?
Surely easily attained by proxy by asking for length of time licence has been held, there will be the odd person passing tests in their 30s but by and large if you bet on someone having held a licence under a year being under 20, I reckon you'd come out on the right side of that bet more often than not :p

Soldato
That's far too much effort so I'll take your word for it, I struggle to get the motivation to do quotes for my actual insurance that involves money :p

Soldato
Where I live, insurance is based purely on the car, they don’t ask you anything about previous claims or driving history. They do ask for your name and address, but those are simply contact details and doesn’t affect the premium at all.

I pay £340 for my Audi A6 and £280 for my Dodge Caliber, both fully comp for any driver on a US / EU / Mexican licence. I’m 23 and used to pay upwards of £1k in the UK, so that was a nice surprise.

I have absolutely no idea how the companies make any money over here given the amount of accidents I see every day, I can only assume it’s due to the fact we don’t have the compo culture you get in the UK.

Soldato
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5393978/insurance-race-row-john-mohammed/

Obviously this needs some further details as I'm not sure how much I'd trust the sun to investigate something like this well but ostensible this is rather dubious and awkward for the firms to say the least! If someone's name is affecting a pricing model then they probably have got some rather awkward questions to answer going forwards, especially if regulators take an interest in this. It is a bit surprising if true as I'd previously assumed the insurance industry was quite conservative and rather old school with their models and I'm surprised someone's name is even looked at for this purpose*.

If true then this perhaps is one of the downsides of the whole "big data" thing, you can end up with potentially quite discriminatory results (also a current research topic in machine learning - assessing the "fairness" of algorithms) - for example google classifying black people as gorillas, or the dubious differences in search results when searching for pictures of white people vs pictures of black people etc...

(*partly why I'm still wondering if there is some other explanation for the sun's results)

Every company has to make a prophet some how....:)

Soldato
Where I live, insurance is based purely on the car, they don’t ask you anything about previous claims or driving history. They do ask for your name and address, but those are simply contact details and doesn’t affect the premium at all.

I pay £340 for my Audi A6 and £280 for my Dodge Caliber, both fully comp for any driver on a US / EU / Mexican licence. I’m 23 and used to pay upwards of £1k in the UK, so that was a nice surprise.

I have absolutely no idea how the companies make any money over here given the amount of accidents I see every day, I can only assume it’s due to the fact we don’t have the compo culture you get in the UK.
Labour on repairs is cheaper I would have thought.

Caporegime
OP
Every company has to make a prophet some how....:)

:D

(I think someone else made that joke already though)

Labour on repairs is cheaper I would have thought.

Yup, presumably.

I'd guess that another factor is how much they value life too - what does it cost if you kill someone or leave them permanently disabled...

plus perhaps Mexican actuaries are lazy

Soldato
You cant compare coverage between countries. Claim rates, road and people are different, as well as how the insurance companies operate. Many parts of the world require insurance to drive but have little regulation on it, so you can buy insurance for you or your vehicle depending on the country and even if you had a crash you have to jump through hoops to claim any amount or a token amount.

By comparison we probably have stricter standards of minimal cover required and how insurance companies can operate and their rates likely have to reflect that as well as the affordability.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Official Audi, pattern parts don't exist for that car here. You'd think that would be reflected in a high premium, but it's not much more than my Caliber which has pattern parts available for almost everything.

Genuinely interesting. It must really be down to rates of pay and probably lower operating costs through regulation etc. Wonder if people are more tolerant of minor shunts and stuff out there too.

Back
Top Bottom