People not finishing sentences properly

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
This happens to me all the time. But what I find REALLY annoying is when the person I'm talking to doesn't know what it is I'm trying to say (when I can't get the word out straight away) and just stands there waiting...I mean...come on...are you not listening...are you stupid...you know what I mean...right...? No? Idiot! :rolleyes:

Oh, so you don't find it annoying if they complete your sentence for you? Or do you find it helpful? I always complete the other person's sentence and they generally seem to find it useful.

Soldato
My boss does this all the time. He always stops when he's about to say somethign like, "and the point is that you need to..." and then another thought. Knowing him, he's got about a million things going around his brain. It's annoying, but you get used to it. I can understand your frustration though.

I get quite a bit of brain fog and have brain farts all the time. Like others, I think down to Crohn's or the mediciation I take for it. I've forgotten names a lot recently, either of things or people. Couldn't remember hedge the other day...

Associate
Oh, so you don't find it annoying if they complete your sentence for you? Or do you find it helpful? I always complete the other person's sentence and they generally seem to find it useful.

It depends. If it's friends and family, I don't mind. Doesn't really bother me that much. I suppose, if I think about it, it's useful as I don't have to expend the energy required to finish a... ;)

But, if it's done condescendingly, or incorrectly, then it can annoy me and I'll often blurt something out like, 'Let me finish and you'll find out what I'm saying, instead of making assumptions! You're not listening, are you?' :D

Seriously though, it's happening more and more, the older I get. I have actually started to wonder at what point does it stop being 'an old-age, quirk' and become an issue that warrants medical investigation?

Associate
I know this thread is a bit jokey but interesting reading people say that their brain can't keep up with how fast they're talking. For me it's kind of similar (though on reflection having written this it could be the opposite?) my brain never thinks ahead when I open my mouth. I don't plan a sentence before I say it, just kind of wing it and hope the words arrive when they need to. In a way my brain is only just keeping up.

Guess I'm gonna struggle as I get older with that approach based on the comments here...

Soldato
It's probably in part due to the massive proliferation of social media and texting. People only communicate in bitesize form now, hence a full sentence is too demanding for their ADHD riddled minds.

Also shouldn't the topic read "People not finishing sentences correctly". :p

Associate
you know what I mean...right...? :rolleyes:

You know what I mean right?? haha I prey... I work with some people that speak other languages, and this comes into play. I don't know if they have had a citizenship test for the filipino to english, however I will say something and it won't get fully understood. I repeat it but if it didn't make sense the first time then I'm pretty much out of luck. Sometimes even fundamental things go wrong which is where I think good god I hope they have some english tests of citizenship coming up or something..

Myself though, Sometimes I am so keen to say something that I just keep going and then mid conversation I pause. (I'm completely lost at what to say then) The other people are quiet because they are listening and I have lost the rhythm of what I was saying and have to randomly add something on and it usually works but I feel like an ass for just saying so much. Like I'm more sophisticated and opinionated than I really am and what I'm saying gets lost after I've made the initial point. Regularly its a result of talking too much in a way to try to impress, But I won't finish the sentence I started... and people around me are left like wtf briefly cause i just stop altogether grr

Last edited:
Soldato
they probably can't be fu

have the opposite problem :D

this...people that can't stop talking is a bigger issue than the ones who don't know what to say...suggest that you need to leave and they suddenly have even more to say :p

that was a bit of a love/hate/observation thing actually rather than a moan :o

Last edited:
Associate
this...people that can't stop talking is a bigger issue than the ones who don't know what to say...suggest that you need to leave and they suddenly have even more to say :p

that was a bit of a love/hate/observation thing actually rather than a moan :o

I was trying to joke that my problem was not starting sentences correctly. I definitely know what you mean, though!

Associate
Sometimes I have a tendancy to start talking about one thing, then half way through move onto something else and forget to come back to where I started. I also frequently say the wrong word, usually because I'm thinking about something else to what I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom