People selling clocked cars - busted! Update 2.

Caporegime
With MOT checker available to all, how do people think they can get away with it?

I found a nice car with 60k miles on the clock but I did a mot check history on it and it lost 50k miles in 2013...

This is actually a trader/garage too. I messaged them and said car looks good for ages and low miles and they replied yes it is!

Its illegal to miss sell cars on something like mileage right?

Soldato
I'm guessing it's not a car with modern ECU recorded mileage so probably had broken instrument cluster and was replaced but was never updated to the original miles so MOT just goes off the display.

Soldato
I'm wildly speculating, it could have failed at say 125k miles, after the 2012 MOT and before the 2013 MOT so the owner/a garage got a replacement second hand which had a wildly different and lower count on it, fitted it and didn't update it.

I had a failure on my mk2 Golf's instrument cluster and replaced it but I made sure the numbers matched the old one (I could have clocked it down from over 200k if I wanted) but that was mechanical so nice and simple to update. If it's electronic in any form it might well be difficult.

I'm not saying it isn't purposefully changed, just adding the possibility that it's just a case of a failed component being replaced with an incorrect value displayed. MOT testers aren't going to do much more than read the value on the dash and plug it into the computer and I doubt the DVSA care enough to flag it as looking dodgy at the time of the test.

Caporegime
OP
I'm wildly speculating, it could have failed at say 125k miles, after the 2012 MOT and before the 2013 MOT so the owner/a garage got a replacement second hand which had a wildly different and lower count on it, fitted it and didn't update it.

I had a failure on my mk2 Golf's instrument cluster and replaced it but I made sure the numbers matched the old one (I could have clocked it down from over 200k if I wanted) but that was mechanical so nice and simple to update. If it's electronic in any form it might well be difficult.

I'm not saying it isn't purposefully changed, just adding the possibility that it's just a case of a failed component being replaced with an incorrect value displayed. MOT testers aren't going to do much more than read the value on the dash and plug it into the computer and I doubt the DVSA care enough to flag it as looking dodgy at the time of the test.

I agree but a trade dealer can't advertise the car as 63k miles because it was already on 121k in 2012 surely?

Associate
If you have the right equipment it is supposedly very easy to clock electronic mileage. I worry it happens a lot with newer cars, which haven't hit their first MOT. And even with the MOTs, lot of people wouldnt bother to check.

Soldato
They are just going off the dash and probably haven't bothered to look at the history, it'd be interesting to see what they say if you question the discrepancy though.

Soldato
Given they want 13k for a 1994 car due to low mileage im sure it would almost half the value if it was advertised as 130k miles ...
Ouch...but yeah, ask them and see what they say, for the fun of it. :D

If via email I expect they'd not reply and if on the phone then I'd expect them to maybe act surprised but not take any action (adjusting price accordingly etc). :p

Associate
I haven't bought a used car for 10+ years but they usually used to have a sticker inside to say that the mileage could not be guaranteed and should be assumed to be incorrect. - or words to that effect.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If you have the right equipment it is supposedly very easy to clock electronic mileage. I worry it happens a lot with newer cars, which haven't hit their first MOT. And even with the MOTs, lot of people wouldnt bother to check.

Quick trim, make sure you're looking fresh for your MOT ygm

Associate

it is very easy to alter electronic mileage but trust me you would never get a clean adjustment modern cars store mileages in virtually all ecus whether engine abs or even airbags. in the original posters case the clock has probably been replaced but even a half hearted check would find the discrepancy, and yes its against the law for the trader to sell it with the lower mileage once pointed out without a major note on the advert telling people about the mileage.

i think early galaxys went through problems with the gauges going faulty under warranty and the new clocks were replaced but with zero on the clocks, also renault scenics etc . always had to have a note in the service book to the effect of the change.

as regards the imported vehicles yes very common , you would have the mileage corrected to the nearest figure because it would be in kilometres, being converted .

until the law is changed in the uk it is not illegal for someone to change the mileage on a vehicle it is illegal to sell the vehicle with a lower mileage without notifying prospective buyers.

i believe it is something to do with profiting from the mileage being changed.

i had a lengthy chat with a trading standards officer about this when i place a old nissan primera on a friends car sales pitch to sell ,he found a discrepancy with one of the cars and wanted them all checked accused me of clocking said primera....lol i told him it had 199thousand miles on the clock with full service history if i was so minded to clock it why would i leave it so high still took him 2 days to release it after checking (jobsworth).

again had a customer looking for a car spotted on a local forecourt he did a check and found mileage had been altered , told the garage they didnt seem bothered.
he reported it to trading standards and the car sprouted a mileage cannot be verified sticker.

not too sure if they can still use those now but used to be all the rage :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
it is very easy to alter electronic mileage but trust me you would never get a clean adjustment modern cars store mileages in virtually all ecus whether engine abs or even airbags. in the original posters case the clock has probably been replaced but even a half hearted check would find the discrepancy, and yes its against the law for the trader to sell it with the lower mileage once pointed out without a major note on the advert telling people about the mileage.

i think early galaxys went through problems with the gauges going faulty under warranty and the new clocks were replaced but with zero on the clocks, also renault scenics etc . always had to have a note in the service book to the effect of the change.

as regards the imported vehicles yes very common , you would have the mileage corrected to the nearest figure because it would be in kilometres, being converted .

until the law is changed in the uk it is not illegal for someone to change the mileage on a vehicle it is illegal to sell the vehicle with a lower mileage without notifying prospective buyers.

i believe it is something to do with profiting from the mileage being changed.

i had a lengthy chat with a trading standards officer about this when i place a old nissan primera on a friends car sales pitch to sell ,he found a discrepancy with one of the cars and wanted them all checked accused me of clocking said primera....lol i told him it had 199thousand miles on the clock with full service history if i was so minded to clock it why would i leave it so high still took him 2 days to release it after checking (jobsworth).

again had a customer looking for a car spotted on a local forecourt he did a check and found mileage had been altered , told the garage they didnt seem bothered.
he reported it to trading standards and the car sprouted a mileage cannot be verified sticker.

not too sure if they can still use those now but used to be all the rage :)

With the imported car it had a double haircut, converted from km to miles, and then converted the miles number into miles again by the same ratio as if it was km to miles...to the exact mile/km...

Soldato
This is actually a trader/garage too. I messaged them and said car looks good for ages and low miles and they replied yes it is!

Why not message them and mention the MOT history - see if the sale advert gets pulled / updated with the correct info or if it's still live in a few days with the wrong mileage.

They may well be the victim as well - sold a car with a dodgy history and don't know about the past.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Saw some people on another forum talking about worries of buying relatively new cars that have had mileage blockers put on them.

Seems this is a thing people buying on limited mileage PCPs or leases are doing to allow them to cover excess miles.

Back
Top Bottom