People walking in to you

Permabanned
Anyone else experience this all the time? I think it might be because I walk fast but recently it seems that people are purposefully trying to walk in my way/path.

If you are walking down a path and someone is crossing your path going in to a shop or building on the side and they are pulling a bag. Do you think it is reasonable for the person to walk in to the path of someone that is walking a long the path or should the person crossing be the one that waits and walks behind?

It is a small thing but it is starting to make me very angry because it happens all the time, it happens a lot with women. It is almost like they do it on purpose to make me move out of their way. I actively try and avoid people as much as possible when walking but still manage to find people getting in my way.

Even today I was walking very slow and on my phone while walking for once, as i rarely do that. I was not blocking anyone behind me as I was on an open street and walking slowly for once. Then this woman literally walks directly in to me on a smallish path because of the construction. But there is more than enough space and time to see that they can adjust their walking path to pass me. Instead she decides to make a point and almost forces me to try and move out of her way. As i was looking at my phone it was a bit of a surprise because I was not looking ahead of me. If i was i not looking at my phone I probably would have just walked the other side of the path myself because that is normal thing to do. It that sort of thing rarely happened then sure but for it to happen multiple times a day, everyday, i have to ask if i am the problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I see someone coming towards me directly in my path and looking like they will not move round, instead of moving round them, just stop. Then they have to move round you. I win these battles daily. :D

Man of Honour
Stop looking at your phone for a start. I won't move out of the way of anyone not looking where they are going. But as a general point of advice it's probably the way you walk. If you walk with purpose (not fast, not slow, just with confidence and purpose) I find most people try not to walk into you as they realise you probably won't avoid them. If you walk in a timid way with shoulders hunched and head down then your body language will be sending signals that you will want to avoid them.

Soldato
The worst is the phenominon that any group of women with greater than 2 party members expands to fill the maximum available walking pace with the speed of the group inversely proportional to the number of members.

Its bearable outdoors when you can hop onto the road to overtake, but in corridoors there is no reasonable excuse to not leave any gaps, even for folk walking the other direction

Soldato
If you think that's bad, you should visit Lincoln :eek:

Voted worst drivers in the UK, but that aside, walking down the high street is a real challenge. First people don't walk in a straight line, they walk diagonally. Second, they rush to get past you, then slow down. They are completely oblivious to their surroundings.....and finally, when they do see you they look at you like they have never seen another person before.

Very, very strange

Soldato
I've given up with mobile phone zombies. Even trying to avoid them usually ends up with them seeing you last second and guessing wrong which way to dodge. Haven't caused an iPhone smash yet but working on it, only a matter of time in London

Soldato
Try wearing a fluorescent jacket, if you are fairly tall as well you will part the crowd like Moses. I dont know why it is, maybe they subconsciously associate the jacket with the police or something, but it seems to work without fail.

Back
Top Bottom